Wilderness Tips

by Margaret Atwood | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingCassandra2020wing of Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on 1/30/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingCassandra2020wing from Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, January 30, 2016
Wilderness Tips by Margaret Atwood - Good

Always difficult to review short stories, they can vary so much, also I know not everyone enjoys the format. However, there is a difference when the author is Margaret Atwood. She has a tight grasp of the format and rarely disappoints. I think only one of this collection left me feeling.....hmm.....incomplete.

I'm not sure what she had in mind but for me, these stories are all linked by love, loss, infidelity and revenge - looking back on life. A little dated as they were first published in 1991 but that lends them a period feel and charm. (Oh, I hate that I actually think that!)

If you like short stories and/or Margaret Atwood then you'll enjoy them. If not, don't bother.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCassandra2020wing at The Glencorse Centre in Auchendinny, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, February 04, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (2/3/2016 UTC) at The Glencorse Centre in Auchendinny, Scotland United Kingdom

released to obcz

Journal Entry 3 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, March 24, 2016
Retrieved from obcz

Journal Entry 4 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, December 10, 2016
I decided to offer this book up as a bookray. You can find the forum details here:

List so far:

ruzena in finland, can post anywhere
SerendipityN in Germany, can post anywhere
BaiLong in China, can post anywhere
davemurray101 in Australia, can post Australia, New Zealand
gaboyd in NZ, can post anywhere
EdwardStreet in NZ, can post anywhere
CFreckle, UK. UK only

If this changes for any reason, I will update this journal entry as well as the forum

post

Journal Entry 5 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, December 24, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (12/24/2016 UTC) at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom

Posted out to ruzena.

Happy travels, little book....

Although this book is registered at www.bookcrossing.com, you don't have to be a member. It's perfectly OK to just take the book and enjoy it. Of course, if you can visit the website and let us know that you've picked it up, that would be even better - you don't even have to join, you can add your comments anonymously - you can also post your review when you've read it, then return it or pass it on to someone else.

If you do join Bookcrossing, you'll be able to see what happens to it afterwards - for ever!

Journal Entry 6 by wingruzenawing at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, January 11, 2017
The book arrived. Thank you, Cassandra!

Journal Entry 7 by wingruzenawing at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, January 25, 2017
Cassandra put it in a nutshell: "these stories are all linked by love, loss, infidelity and revenge - looking back on life". In addition, it's about women, as she is Margaret Atwood. The women in the stories are the interesting ones while the men mostly just... exist.
Atwood has been paying close attention to the human soul. To give just one example of her skillful knowledge: in the story Death by Landscape there is a brief discussion of Cappie and Lois, and a few second's glimpse of suspicion, and "for the rest of her life, [Lois] has caught people watching her in this way".

Thanks again for sharing, Cassandra!

-ruzena

Journal Entry 8 by wingruzenawing at A Book Ray, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (1/25/2017 UTC) at A Book Ray, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Travelling on.

Journal Entry 9 by SerendipityN at Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, January 31, 2017
Arrived today. Thank you!

Journal Entry 10 by SerendipityN at Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, March 03, 2017
I didn't find these stories as gripping as her novels or the stories collected in Good Bones. Although they're well written I didn't grasp their meaning.

Released 2 yrs ago (3/3/2017 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

On its way to China. Safe travels!

Journal Entry 12 by BaiLong at Shanghai, Shanghai China on Wednesday, March 15, 2017
The book arrived today, thanks!

Journal Entry 13 by BaiLong at Shanghai, Shanghai China on Tuesday, April 25, 2017
This was the first Atwood I read, and I really liked it. She manages to give really catching atmosphere to her stories. I will definitely need to get my hands on some of her other books.

Journal Entry 14 by BaiLong at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (4/25/2017 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

The book will leave later today. Sorry for taking so much time to post it!

Journal Entry 15 by davemurray101 at Granville, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, May 14, 2017
Received in the post today from BaiLong . Thank you for the nice card.

Journal Entry 16 by davemurray101 at Granville, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, June 13, 2017
If you were expecting a dystopia (which I was) you may be a bit disappointed.
Book is on way to gaboyd in NZ.

Journal Entry 17 by davemurray101 at a fellow bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (6/20/2017 UTC) at a fellow bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Book is on way to gaboyd in NZ.

Journal Entry 18 by gaboyd at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, July 17, 2017
Arrived today. Thanks

Journal Entry 19 by gaboyd at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, August 17, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (8/17/2017 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Released while at Post Office

Back to the UK.
I read and thoroughly enjoyed this short story collection last night as I stayed in what is described as a "rustic cabin" .
I am staying there for the next ten days because I had no housesit bookings, which is how I live usually. I needed somewhere within driveable distance to work, unfortunately the amazing World of Wearable Art show is on this week in Wellington and all accommodation within a 100kms that is decent has been booked out for months.
I really related to the title story - as I scrambled up a goat track to get to the long drop dunny and scooped the requisite saw dust over my business. The shower is a real treat, waist high and on a very small caliphont - so the choices are pressure and cold or hot and a trickle . Oh well as my friend said this morning will make the backpackers on Stewart Island appear 5 star. Twelve bookcrossers are heading to Stewart Island for the annual New Zealand Australian Unconvention mid October, I doubt an Uncon will ever be held in a more remote place.

Journal Entry 21 by Cfreckle at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 10, 2017
The book arrived safely this afternoon. Thank you, Edwardstreet for sending it to me.

Journal Entry 22 by Cfreckle at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 23, 2017
I've never read anything by Margaret Atwood before but there was something about her style of writing that really appealed to me. I loved that her female characters were happily independent, strong willed, and lived life as they wanted to. Thankfully I had been warned before the book arrived not to expect dystopia - I do love dystopia - and of course, now I realise how much I love her writing style, I can't wait to read 'The Handmaids Tale'!

Journal Entry 23 by Cfreckle at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (1/18/2018 UTC) at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom

Starting a new book ray -

Mankyi - Switzerland - International
Bookgirrl - Canada - Canada/ USA
missprisy - USA - USA
Aisling78 - USA - International
valpete - USA - International

Hope you all enjoy reading it xx

forum post - http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/547559
If this list changes for any reason, I will update this journal entry as well as the forum.

Journal Entry 24 by wingMankyiwing at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, January 24, 2018
Found this one in my post box today. Thank you!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish this book would just go on and on... It's mesmerizing, enchanting, beautifully written. Each short story has a deep meaning, that resonates in my own heart and leaves an imprint meant to last.

This is my first encounter with Atwood's works, and I am totally in love with her style of writing! It is interesting, well thought through. She adds tiny details that have important meaning.

Journal Entry 25 by wingMankyiwing at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Saturday, February 03, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (2/3/2018 UTC) at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland

And the book continues its travel to Potrugal. Enjoy the read, Vera!:)

Journal Entry 26 by wingcontowing at Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Wednesday, February 07, 2018

Just received it.

Can't wait to start it, even if short stories isn't how I usually like Atwood the most. Exception made to Stone Mattress...

Thank you so much, Cfreckle, Mankyi and back to Cassandra2020 ;)

Journal Entry 27 by wingcontowing at Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Sunday, February 25, 2018
This one ranks second, right there after Stone Mattress, in my personal list of Atwood's short stories books.
I really enjoyed reading this collection, fealing it as such and not only as a set of stories put together for the print. They make sense together in some way, even if I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but I could risk... disapointment? Maybe.
Anyway, The ones I liked the most were Hairball, Death by Landscape and Weight, even if I liked lots of little things in all of them.
Once again, thank you all so much for the opportunity to read one more Atwood, which is allways such a pleasure.
This one is going off to Freuju as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 28 by freuju at Waldkirchen, Bayern Germany on Monday, March 05, 2018
Reached me today, thank you! :)

Journal Entry 29 by freuju at Waldkirchen, Bayern Germany on Thursday, March 22, 2018
I am not generally a fan of short stories, but I enjoyed this book a lot! At the end of every story, I wanted to know how it would continue... Brilliantly written and absolutely worthwhile!

Alexiapapa asked to be left out on this one, so the book is now on its way to Canada.

Journal Entry 30 by mcsar at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, March 28, 2018
The book arrived today. I will read it soon and send it to the next reader.

-----------------------------
Updated April 12, 2018

I enjoyed most of the stories in this collection. Atwood is good in both short stories and novels. Thank you for offering this as a bookray

Journal Entry 31 by mcsar at a Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, April 19, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (4/20/2018 UTC) at a Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

My apologies. I finished the book earlier but did not have a chance to do a postal run. Finally on its way to the next reader. Enjoy 8)

Journal Entry 32 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, April 24, 2018
Arrived here safely today. Thank you, Mcsar :-)

Journal Entry 33 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Thursday, May 24, 2018
Thank you for including me in this bookring, and special gratitude to you previous readers who shared your reactions. Seeing what different perspectives people bring to a book is, for me, the best part of BookCrossing.

I love Margaret Atwood more and more with everything I read of hers. IMHO she's better at novels than short stories, but on the other hand, the short form lets little slivers of insight shine through more brightly - as in the perfect example ruzena gave us.

My favourite stories were 'The Age of Lead' and 'Weight.' In 'The Age of Lead' especially, Atwood astounds me by how many different allusions to weight, gravity, and falling she can bring into a 15-page story. In my mind's eye, I like to imagine her on a fine spring morning, heading into her Word Orchard, picking up here a dewy cluster of synonyms, there a perfectly ripened metaphor... All with that impish smile, of course!

Reading 'Death by Landscape' made me think of 'Picnic at Hanging Rock,' which also features a girl's mysterious disappearance on a field trip. Probably we'll never know, but I can't help wondering if Atwood had that book in the back of her head as she was writing the story.

Journal Entry 34 by wingJudySlump612wing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, May 24, 2018

Released 10 mos ago (5/24/2018 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to Femke85 for Cfreckle's bookring

Journal Entry 35 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Sunday, August 12, 2018
Arrived in Sweden after a loooooooong journey with the post! Thanks for sharing this book

Journal Entry 36 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Monday, August 20, 2018
It’s the first time I read a book with short series, so it’s hard to compare it to anything else I’ve read. At first I was a bit worried that I wouldn’t really get dragged into the stories, because they are only 20 pages and it took me a while to realise I always need to stop and start reading at then end/beginning of a story, rather than just putting the book down at a random page.

Luckily Margaret Atwood writes in a way that can fascinate you from the first sentence. Almost every story got me hooked. I think my least favorite one was Wilderness Tips, which oddly is the one she chose for the book cover. I really enjoyed the one about the camp girls, because it leaves a lot of mystery around what happened. It kind of left me feeling the story was incomplete, but on the other hand, the incompleteness also makes it a greater mystery and gives an extra dimension to the story.

Atwood has an interesting way of observing and describing human behaviour and relationships, which I think it sort of the common topic of all these stories. She also adds a lot of depth to the female characters in most stories, while a lot of the men are more like flat characters in the background. I think this gave an interesting dynamic to the stories.

I’m also on the “Handmade’s tale” bookray list and even though I have seen the first season of the tv-series, I’m now very curious to read the original Atwood story.

This book is part of a bookray and it will continue its journey today, since I already got the next person’s address!

Journal Entry 37 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Monday, August 20, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (8/20/2018 UTC) at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden

Sending this book off to the next person on the bookray list (JosefinJ).

I’m trying to reduce waste, so I recycled one of my 2-year-old’s paintings to make an enveloppe :) Hope this works and it protects the book well enough from postal damages.

Journal Entry 38 by JosefinJ at Kristinehamn, Värmland Sweden on Tuesday, August 21, 2018
Got it by mail today. Will begin to read it asap.

Journal Entry 39 by JosefinJ at Kristinehamn, Värmland Sweden on Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (9/18/2018 UTC) at Kristinehamn, Värmland Sweden

On its way to Latvia!

Journal Entry 40 by Alia_Rus at Rīga, Rīga Latvia on Saturday, September 22, 2018
Thank you for small presents and this book.

Journal Entry 41 by Alia_Rus at Rīga, Rīga Latvia on Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (11/29/2018 UTC) at Rīga, Rīga Latvia

Book was very interesting. My favorite stories are "Hairball" and "Uncles".

Now it's time to sent book to the next reader. Hope you will enjoy reading it.

Journal Entry 42 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Sunday, December 02, 2018
I enjoyed these stories very much. Not a surprise though - Margaret Atwood is on of the best.
My favourites were Isis in Darkness and Death by Landscape.

Journal Entry 43 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (1/15/2019 UTC) at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany

Sorry, it took me a bit longer to get this packed and posted. On its way to Spain now - I wish I was, too... ;-)

Journal Entry 44 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, January 29, 2019
And here it is, what a well-read book!
Thank you so much for sharing, Cfreckle, and for sending it my way, LilyKlip...
I will try not to take too long... short stories are definitely my thing, and I love Ms Atwood's writing!