Melal: A Novel of the Pacific

by Robert Barclay | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Andrasthe of Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on 1/25/2016
Journal Entry 1 by Andrasthe from Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Monday, January 25, 2016
enjoy

Journal Entry 2 by wingUrfinwing at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Sunday, January 31, 2016
The book's arrived. Thanks.
You have not read it?

Journal Entry 3 by wingUrfinwing at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, March 29, 2016
Start reading today. Am a little behind. Sorry.

When I realized that the story takes place at the Marshall Islands, a picture from a children's book I'd read recently (to my son) came to my mind. It was similar to this one:
A chart (of the Marshall Islands) made of sticks and shells, tied with palm fibre!

4.4. Finished Part 1 today.
Very gripping but
quite challenging to read, due to exotic circumstances and use of unusual vocabulary.
10.4. Finished Part 2 today.
I'm tempted to take a break, it's all a bit depressing, all that war between good and evil ...
15.4. Finished Part 3 tonight.
At the end of part 2 and well into part 3 it all looked rather bleak (for mankind) but I did not pause with the book, and it got better, ending not quite so hopeless :o)
An excellent story, I'll go and find out, if the author has written anything since.

PS: There is a movie in the making: http://www.fall-out-the-movie.com

Journal Entry 4 by wingUrfinwing at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Saturday, April 16, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (4/16/2016 UTC) at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany

sent on to bluezwuzl

Journal Entry 5 by wingbluezwuzlwing at Altdorf (Niederbayern), Bayern Germany on Thursday, April 21, 2016
Ist gestern sicher angekommen - vielen Dank für's Schicken!
---
A wondrous tale, connecting history, mythology and daily life on the Marshall Islands. The islanders have to come to terms with the fact that, because of the atomic tests of the Americans, they have lost every chance to lead the life they were hoping for. But a new generation of islanders is not willing to accept the treatment their people is subjected to by a far away nation...
Thanks for introducing this book to the Oceania-reading circle!

Journal Entry 6 by book-a-billy at München, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, July 06, 2016
As 83dea doesn't read books in English, this book has already arrived at my place. When I have read it, it travels back to andrasthe.

Journal Entry 7 by book-a-billy at München, Bayern Germany on Friday, July 15, 2016
At the beginning I had my problems with this book, as three different stories are intertwined: One day in Rujen's life - a day in the lives of his two sons Jebro and Nuke - and a mythological story. However, when I got used tto the characters and their names, I really appreciated this way of telling about the daily life of the Marshallese deprived of their land by Americans who make their atomic tests there. The book taught me a lot about history, beliefs and life on those islands, and I got really caught by the story.

Released 2 yrs ago (7/30/2016 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany

andrasthe's book for the Ozeanien-Abo that can now travel back to her.

Journal Entry 9 by Andrasthe at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Monday, August 22, 2016
thank you!