Kickoff

by donna king | Children's Books | This book has not been rated.
Registered by BOOKWORMINUSALL on 1/15/2016
Journal Entry 1 by BOOKWORMINUSALL on Friday, January 15, 2016
I am releasing this book in honor and memory of Becky (BC screen name N-R-Jyzer), ResQgeek's daughter, who was killed on 30 August 2010 when she was struck by a car while riding her bicycle. She would be celebrating her 15th birthday on Valentine's Day this year (2016). During each of the last five years, this Release Challenge has been held in order to remember her and celebrate her short life by releasing books in her memory. Read more about Becky and her family here... http://www.BeckysHugs.com

If you would prefer to link directly to the Facebook page, the direct link is http://www.facebook.com/BeckysHugs

ResQgeek's 6th Annual Becky's Hugs Release Challenge February 2016

UPDATE (Thursday, 28 January 2016...have sent this off as a RABCK to ResQgeek with expected delivery of Monday, 1 February 2016...per the Post Office):

One of Becky's loves was soccer, and while up until now I have been hoping to do a mass release of 25 books on Valentine's Day at the Children's hospital to go with the 25 special Becky's Hugs Bookplates I ordered when I splurged in the Supply Store for this Challenge earlier this month...those plans have changed. First off, I have decided to send this particular book to ResQgeek for the February 1st "KICKOFF" Day of this year's Becky's Hugs Release Challenge (according to USPS Tracking #9500111120896028533194, it's expected to arrive on time), as I don't currently have a way to take a photo to share how I have specially packaged each book I plan to release by placing it inside a BookCrossing plastic release bag after adding a red heart-shaped foam sticker with the word "HUGS" on the outside of the bag on Ballycumber. For those new to BookCrossing, or those who do not know...Ballycumber C. BookCrossing is the name of our little running book mascot. : )

Additionally, on each book cover I placed a round BookCrossing sticker, and beside it I placed a red heart sticker with the word "HUGS" written in the middle. When I filled in the book information section on each of the bookplates, I also drew a pink heart next to it and wrote "HUGS" on it, and I placed a ready-to-use Animal Themed (Kittens...for Becky...and Puppies) Valentine inside each book with the Becky's Hugs Website and BookCrossing Challenge information written on it for the finder to use either as a bookmark, or for them to share with someone else. With so many children having allergies, diabetes, or other health issues these days, instead of candy, I included a foam sticky-backed heart or two with the Valentine for the recipient to use as they wish.

Secondly...and sadly, just within the past week, a little girl in my neighborhood was hit by a car and killed just a few houses down from me near a plush green retention area crossing that everyone has always referred to as..."The End of the Street Park". I came across the accident surrounded by a huge Police, Fire, and Emergency Responder presence the night it happened when I went around to the backstreet side of the houses to pick some unwanted sour oranges from a neighbor's tree to use for a marinade.

There was a candlelight service held all along the street there a few nights ago, where a growing memorial has been set up on the corner where the sidewalk that passes from the neighborhood through the Park meets the Street. For years it has been a main thoroughfare for children travelling to and from the school just a half a mile away, a meet up area for them before and after school, a place of joy and peace, a place to play tag and hide-and-seek, a place to climb trees, a place to set up lemonade stands, and a place where neighbors visit and walk their dogs. Now it is also a place of daily passing and stopping by the Memorial with aching hearts. With Valentine's Day so near, there are now heart-shaped balloons and such appearing, so I may release the remaining books I have for this Challenge there, as HUGS for the children, the families, friends, neighbors, and loved ones who are grieving the loss of yet another taken to soon...at least in our minds. Perhaps Becky's Hugs will be an inspiration to them, as they are not alone in their loss. My heart aches for each and every one of us. God's Blessings to all.

Kickoff by Donna King

Journal Entry 2 by BOOKWORMINUSALL at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, January 30, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (2/1/2016 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

TO THE FINDER OF THIS BOOK:

HELLO...WELCOME to BOOKCROSSING...and CONGRATULATIONS!

You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BOOKCROSSING http://www.bookcrossing.com/about. Maybe you'll even decide to make a journal entry on this book, possibly listing me...BOOKWORMINUSALL...as the one who referred you. We want to make the whole world a library! You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (it's free!). Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend, or even set it free "in the wild" for someone else to find as you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels - you'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your email address), it's fun, it's free, and it's spam-free...all thanks to our dedicated totally AWESOME BOOKCROSSING MANAGEMENT http://www.bookcrossing.com/management, and SUPPORT TEAMS!!!

HAPPY READING!

Journal Entry 3 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, February 02, 2016
This arrived in today's mail, as predicted by the oh-so-reliable US Postal Service...a great way to "kick off" this year's Becky's Hugs challenge.

I love all the little additional touches that accompany this release...the "hugs" hearts on the release bag and the book, the valentine's card, the foam hearts. I'll be sure that they all stay with the book when I release it, probably on Becky's birthday.

I am so sorry to hear about the death in your neighborhood. I hope your plan to release the Becky's Hugs books do bring some comfort to those who find them.

Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by wingResQgeekwing at Good Shepherd Catholic Church in Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, February 14, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (2/14/2016 UTC) at Good Shepherd Catholic Church in Alexandria, Virginia USA

Today would have been Becky's 15th birthday, so I'm releasing this book to "kickoff" my releases in her memory today. Soccer was her favorite sport, which makes this a great memorial to her life and love.

Left on the drinking fountain next to the restrooms in the hallway by Creedon Hall..

======================

DEAR FINDER,

I hope you enjoy the book!