corner corner The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox
by Maggie O'Farrell | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 1/21/2016

status (set by QueenSavet): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Thursday, January 21, 2016

This book was donated anonymously today to the Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720). Thank you very much!

I read another copy of this book in 2011 and this is what I wrote about it after I read it...

I very much enjoyed reading this book - until its ending. How can a book be so good and then leave its readers so puzzled with the situation of its characters so unresolved? I guess we, the readers, could script our own ending.

This is the story of Iris Lockhart, a young Scottish woman who makes the discovery that she has a great aunt, Esme Lennox, who is being released from a psychiatric facility after sixty-one years. It is up to Iris to determine what will become of her great aunt.

The narrative unwinds in lovely prose, telling the story of the great aunt's childhood with her proper parents who return to Scotland from India and her sister Kitty who feels superior in all ways to Esme. This is interwoven with Iris's own story of a conflicted relationship with a married man. As the reader has no idea in which direction the story will go, this becomes quite the mesmerizing tale. Despite my disappointment with its ending, I did enjoy my experience of reading this novel and think it well worth recommending to others.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, May 16, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (5/16/2016 UTC) at Rockville, Maryland USA

I gave this book to my friend from Catonsville, Maryland because I thought she might like to read this book by a Scottish author.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, February 11, 2017

Caught!

Thank you for returning this book to the Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720).

Journal Entry 4 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) - 5811 Vandegrift Avenue in Rockville, Maryland USA on Thursday, December 07, 2017

Released 6 mos ago (12/7/2017 UTC) at Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) - 5811 Vandegrift Avenue in Rockville, Maryland USA

I'm releasing this book for the following BookCrossing challenge:

***The 2017 What's in a Name Release Challenge hosted by DragonGoddess . The title of this book contains the names VAN, ESME and LEN.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 5 by QueenSavet at Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, December 25, 2017

I cannot agree with the other writer more! An excellently written book with a compelling main storyline, followed by an abrupt ending. It is a sign of a good book when you are so invested in the characters’ story that you want to know everything has worked out for them and hate to leave them so quickly. Definitely a recommendation for an easy and thought provoking read.