The Revenge of Gaia

by James Lovelock | Science |
Registered by jacajerezana on 1/8/2016
Journal Entry 1 by jacajerezana on Friday, January 8, 2016
For thousands of years, humans have exploited the planet without counting the cost. Now Gaia, the living Earth, is fighting back. This is the one book you must read to find out what is happening, how bad it will get - and how we might yet survive.
***
Thanks to the concept of Gaia we now see that our planet is entirely different from its dead siblings Mars and Venus. Like one of us, it controls its temperature and composition so as always to be comfortable, and it has done this ever since life began over three billion years ago. To put it bluntly, dead planets are like stone statues, which if put in an oven and heated to 80°C remain unchanged. I would die and so would you if heated that hot, and so would the Earth.
***
We as a civilization are all too much like someone addicted to a drug that will kill if continued and kill if suddenly withdrawn. We are in our present mess through our intelligence and inventiveness. It could have started as long as 100,000 years ago, when we first set fire to forests as a lazy way of hunting. We had ceased to be just another animal and begun the demolition of the Earth.
***
Most of us think that something unpleasant may soon happen, but we are as confused as we were in 1938 over what form it will take and what to do about it. Our response so far is just like that before the Second World War, an attempt to appease. The Kyoto agreement was uncannily like that of Munich, with politicians out to show that they do respond but in reality playing for time.
***
We need to plan for the synthesis of food from nothing more than air, water and a few minerals, and this will require a secure and abundant source of energy. The highly productive farmlands of eastern England will be among the first areas to be inundated. The only sources of energy we can rely on will be coal, the little that remains of North Sea Oil and gas, nuclear energy and a small amount of renewable energy.
***
I find it remarkable that such a verdant scene has alternated more than twenty times, with much longer periods of tundra and glaciers that, seen from above, would have looked like Greenland today. The long ice ages swept away the trees and all but sterilized the land; yet when the climate warmed for the short interglacials, life returned anew and in much the same way every time.
***

Journal Entry 2 by jacajerezana at Caffe Nero in Sudbury, Suffolk United Kingdom on Monday, July 26, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (7/27/2021 UTC) at Caffe Nero in Sudbury, Suffolk United Kingdom

- in the bookcases