Hiroshima Joe

by Martin Booth | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Diabetes-3136 of Croydon, Victoria Australia on 4/2/2016
Journal Entry 1 by Diabetes-3136 from Croydon, Victoria Australia on Saturday, April 02, 2016
Book taken from hallway table of East Ringwood Senior Citizens Club rooms during Probus meeting April 2016.

Thank you !

Amazon review:
"Captured by Hirohito’s soldiers at the fall of Hong Kong and transferred to a Japanese slave camp outside Hiroshima, Captain Joe Sandingham was present when the bomb was dropped. Now a shell of a man, he lives in a cheap Hong Kong hotel, scrounging for food and the occasional bar girl. The locals call him “Hiroshima Joe” with a mixture of pity and contempt. But Joe—haunted by the sounds and voices of his past, debilitated by illness, and shattered by his wartime ordeal—is a man whose compassion and will to survive define a clear-eyed and unexpected heroism."

Journal Entry 2 by Diabetes-3136 at Croydon, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, April 12, 2016
Book has been neatly covered to protect it on its journey, with a special sticker on the front.

Journal Entry 3 by Jenny-G at Croydon, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, April 12, 2016
Snapping this up, hoping I can read it to release ANZAC day.

Journal Entry 4 by Jenny-G at Croydon, Victoria Australia on Thursday, April 14, 2016
2016/#13

Journal Entry 5 by Jenny-G at Croydon, Victoria Australia on Monday, April 25, 2016
2016/#13

Finished this last night, and it's still on my mind, today being ANZAC day and I've been to Hiroshima.

Found this very moving, even though the story-line and the ending were unexpected. Enjoyed the descriptions of Hong Kong and appreciated how the different sections of the novel tied the past and present together. Particularly poignant to me, a paragraph on page 240 when his own self-awareness is described.

A blurb says on the back: "The appalling costs of war and its consequences have rarely been so powerfully or passionately conveyed as in this brilliant novel."

Recommended, and will look for other copies of this.

Lest we forget.

Journal Entry 6 by Jenny-G at Network Nirvana - OBCZ in Croydon, Victoria Australia on Thursday, May 19, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (5/19/2016 UTC) at Network Nirvana - OBCZ in Croydon, Victoria Australia

Book placed on bookcase shelves at around midday, May 19 2016.

Journal Entry 7 by Jenny-G at Croydon, Victoria Australia on Thursday, December 01, 2016
A book of books was returned to me when Network Nirvana closed recently.