The Winter Palace: A Novel of Catherine the Great

Read Comfortably!
by Eva Stachniak | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingheartthumperwing of Hutchinson, Kansas USA on 2/16/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingheartthumperwing from Hutchinson, Kansas USA on Tuesday, February 16, 2016
Just looked good.

Her name is Barbara—in Russian, Varvara. Nimble-witted and attentive, she’s allowed into the employ of the Empress Elizabeth, amid the glitter and cruelty of the world’s most eminent court. Under the tutelage of Count Bestuzhev, Chancellor and spymaster, Varvara will be educated in skills from lock picking to lovemaking, learning above all else to listen—and to wait for opportunity. That opportunity arrives in a slender young princess from Zerbst named Sophie, a playful teenager destined to become the indomitable Catherine the Great. Sophie’s destiny at court is to marry the Empress’s nephew, but she has other, loftier, more dangerous ambitions, and she proves to be more guileful than she first appears.

What Sophie needs is an insider at court, a loyal pair of eyes and ears who knows the traps, the conspiracies, and the treacheries that surround her. Varvara will become Sophie’s confidante—and together the two young women will rise to the pinnacle of absolute power.

With dazzling details and intense drama, Eva Stachniak depicts Varvara’s secret alliance with Catherine as the princess grows into a legend—through an enforced marriage, illicit seductions, and, at last, the shocking coup to assume the throne of all of Russia.

Impeccably researched and magnificently written, The Winter Palace is an irresistible peek through the keyhole of one of history’s grandest tales.

Journal Entry 2 by wingheartthumperwing at Hutchinson, Kansas USA on Saturday, February 20, 2016
This book was so good. I loved the characters. Her descriptions were wonderful. A little sad in places. Other places made me laugh out loud. Off to a new reader as a birthday surprise!

Journal Entry 3 by wingheartthumperwing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 20, 2016

Released 6 yrs ago (2/20/2016 UTC) at Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Happy Birthday, lauraloo29! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Journal Entry 4 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, July 5, 2016
Thank you! I love wishlist books and birthdays!

Journal Entry 5 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Thursday, January 20, 2022
Frustrating. I can't get into this book. I shall find a new home for it.

Journal Entry 6 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Sunday, May 29, 2022

Released 8 mos ago (6/4/2022 UTC) at Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Sending to the winner of the Historical Fiction Sweeps! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by kinedi at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Saturday, August 13, 2022
Wow, a parcel from Canada arrived today and what a wonderful surprise as I had almost forgotten about the historical fiction sweepstake by now, so thank you ever so much. I am looking forward to reading it !

Journal Entry 8 by kinedi at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 8, 2022
I really enjoyed this historical novel set in St Petersburg with an intriguing glimpse into the lives of Catherine the Great. I admit I didn't know much about Catherine the Great or even that she was born Sophie von Anhalt-Zerbst and the novel really brought life in Russia alive.
As in many royal courts of the time, there are lots of power battles, deceptions, affairs and intrigues. It was a very good read, I liked the characters - fictional and real and it inspired me look up more about her life and rule as the last Empress of Russia

Journal Entry 9 by kinedi at Biblos, Chambers Street in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, November 24, 2022

Released 2 mos ago (11/27/2022 UTC) at Biblos, Chambers Street in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Released at the pre Xmas meet up

Journal Entry 10 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, November 27, 2022
I shouldn’t have picked this up but it looked interesting. It was great to see you again Kinedi.