I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie

by Pamela Des barres | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingBookgirrlwing of Acton, Ontario Canada on 12/28/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingBookgirrlwing from Acton, Ontario Canada on Monday, December 28, 2015
A friend gave me this book for Xmas. I have a rock & roll library here at home, but it's all about musicians and music. Groupies are a sidebar. I know about the GTO's (Pamela was one of them), the Plaster Casters, and the creepy Jimmy Page bedding a 14-year old in the USA…and I've seen the movie "Almost Famous". I get it, but then, I don't get it. I'm a fan, not someone who wants to jump into bed with a rock star, and then wave good-bye to them the next day. I think ultimately, the girls who had sex with this and that rock star probably ended up feeling pretty used and messed up emotionally. It's not a lifestyle you can maintain and feel good about yourself, no matter how much you tell people you love it. 'Not sure what the notorious "Miss Pamela" is up to these days, aside from being an expert on groupie-ness/1960's band culture and being on talk shows but at least she is articulate, and I expect this book will be well written.

Journal Entry 2 by wingBookgirrlwing at Acton, Ontario Canada on Monday, January 25, 2016
My earlier Journal Entry said I expected this book to be well written. It isn't. It's tedious. "Miss Pamela" gushes and swoons and swans around from gig to party to bed and back. Her gushiness is over the top - i.e. how many times do you want to read about "dearest Jimmy's curls and beautiful face" - when the guy was a total jerk!? At one point, he asks Pamela to wait for him after a show, then he goes out another door and drives off with a newer, younger groupie - who is 14. Can you say, ungentlemanly and creeeeepy? I didn't learn anything from this book, except the names of all the guys Pamela slept with, and most of the time, they didn't give a damn about her. It's depressing reading for the 10th time, how she languished by the phone after an "ecstatic night"....but that phone didn't ring - at least not until the band was back in town several months later.
Long story short: I hope Pamela des Barres is happy now - whatever she is doing.

Journal Entry 3 by miss-efficiency at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, February 01, 2016
I caught sight of this on the table at our BookCrossing meet up. It looks both cringeworthy and potentially hilarious. I will give it a go before continuing its journey. At the very least, Bookgirrl and I had riot imitating the author over drinks at Harbord House.

Journal Entry 4 by miss-efficiency at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 09, 2019
I don't expect to get around to reading this anytime soon, so I'm putting it back into circulation. Taking it to our meetup at Harbord House today.