The Quality of Mercy: A Novel

by Barry Unsworth | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BigJohnLefty of Des Moines, Iowa USA on 1/5/2016
Journal Entry 1 by BigJohnLefty from Des Moines, Iowa USA on Tuesday, January 05, 2016
Found this at Dollar Tree.
Plan to read soon.....

Journal Entry 2 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Thursday, February 04, 2016
Took me awhile but I finally finished it - I really enjoyed it a lot. It is set in 18th century England and involves a mining town, some lawyers and business, some men who mutineed aboard a slaving ship (one of whom managed to escape from prison), and how their paths mange to cross in various ways.
I would recommend it as a good source of historical information as an inside look at society at that time.

Available as a RABCK for anyone interested.....

Journal Entry 3 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Saturday, March 12, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (3/12/2016 UTC) at Des Moines, Iowa USA

Am sending this to teachermotivator as a RABCK! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by teachrmotivator at Annapolis, Maryland USA on Thursday, March 31, 2016
As with Unsworth's stories, he makes one think hard as the book begins. I usually have to jot down characters as I read one of his books and this is no exception. I attached myself to Jane, clever girl, because of her response to feeling alone: she eats. As with the historical age, she follows Ashton - "Jane being obligated to hasten away with him" from the court of death. Being unmarried, she needed to stay with a man, her brother. Being a history teacher, these behaviors are still being practiced in other cultures today, yet in many Western countries, women would find this deplorable. But, I found that I didn't make the connection between Ashton and Jane until midway. The several themes intertwining the story are ones that I been told over in different ways, yet the history remains constant. Readers may wish to find a theme and character to follow throughout the book rather than focusing on the the many strands. Recommended reading!