The Shaman

by Piers Vitebsky | Religion & Spirituality |
Registered by ohs2018 of Brigantine, Delaware USA on 12/8/2015
Journal Entry 1 by ohs2018 from Brigantine, Delaware USA on Tuesday, December 08, 2015
One may often wonder: what was the first religion? What did they do? Does it still exist? I had found myself asking these questions, until I picked up this book. Shamanism is the most ancient and universal religion, as principles and aspects of it can be found in cultures all across the world, most of which had never been in contact with each other and had no near ancestors. This fact alone goes to show how self evident Shamanism seems to a hunter gatherer society or really any society before and during the stone age. This book does an excellent job explaining the origins, practices and traditions of the shamans of old and the modern interpretation of the art. This book is somewhat short, with only 184 pages, but makes up for it by being filled with interesting information and numerous works of art and photographs. The book is divided into six main chapters, with many sub chapters, and range from explaining regional traditions to the role shamanism plays in the world today. Filled with information and colorful visuals, this book may very well be the premiere introductory guide to the ancient world of shamanism. I recommend it to anyone with a bit of time and an interest in history.