Weave a Circle Round: A Novel

Read a book; share a book
by Kari Maaren | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingbookczukwing of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on 3/25/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingbookczukwing from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, March 25, 2018

There's a lot to really enjoy in this tale of storytelling, time-travel, and best of all, using your brain, and your heart to work things out. Having grown up with books that suddenly launch children into other realities-- ones where the writer is more focused on telling a story, with twists and turns than some of the constructs that commonly are buzzed about in books of the last decade or two (why does the phrase "world-building" come to mind?) I was quite content to sit back and be Kari Maaren's audience as she unrolled her story across the pages. She gave me tools to unravel the mysteries, but I didn't realize that until well after she began to reveal the mechanics within the tale itself. And even then, I wasn't sure which way she'd take it, but was content to read on and enjoy the ride.

My one criticism might be with the pacing of the story. I found the chapters quite long, with a lot happening, but no chance for me to necessarily stop and dwell upon that, as is afforded by a chapter break. Then toward the end, when the reader enters the final timeline (trying not to give spoilers here) the pace quickened dramatically. The pacing wasn't a true deterrent, because I obviously kept reading, but I can see that it could bother some folks who need a quicker pace throughout a story. I am also a bit embarrassed I didn't recognize the literary source of the title until it slapped me in the face. My English teacher just rolled over in her grave that this happened, and that I admitted it.

One nice thing about this book was how it dealt with the issues inherent with both siblings and step siblings. Way back in another lifetime, I did my post grad thesis on stepfamilies, and included a bibliography for professionals to recommend to blended families. I would have, without hesitation, included this book on the list.

Thank you to Diana Pho, at Tor books, who sent me my copy of this book to read while recovering from a broken patella. With my leg unable to bear weight or bend, I had a lot of enforced reading time. Luckily, this book was part of my healing process.

2018-read, fantasy, first-novel-or-book, grandgirl-nonsparkly-fodder, great-cover, great-title, i-liked-it, kids-of-most-ages, quirky, read, read-on-recommendation, rounded-up-in-star-rating, time-travel-reincarnation-etc, tor, will-look-for-more-by-this-author

From the publisher:
The unexpected can move in next door
Freddy wants desperately to not be noticed. She doesn't want to be seen as different or unusual, but her step-brother Roland gets attention because he's deaf, and her little sister Mel thinks she's a private detective. All Freddy wants to do is navigate high school with as little trouble as possible.

Then someone moves into the house on Grosvenor Street. Two extremely odd someones.

Cuerva Lachance and Josiah aren't . . . normal. When they move in next door, the house begins to exhibit some decidedly strange tendencies, like not obeying the laws of physics or reality. Just as Freddy thinks she's had enough of Josiah following her around, she's plunged into an adventure millennia in the making and discovers the truth about the new neighbors.

Journal Entry 2 by wingbookczukwing at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Sunday, September 9, 2018

Released 3 yrs ago (9/11/2018 UTC) at Charleston, South Carolina USA

I'll be mailing this off, with a few other books, to a friend/sister. The hope is to get this in the mail before we get whatever we're going to get weather-wise from Hurricane Florence.

To the finder of this book:

Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers, sharing their libraries with the world. This book is now yours to read, enjoy, keep or pass on to another reader. The BookCrossing ID, which you entered in the "Enter a BCID" box on the website, is unique to this copy of this book. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously, or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this actual book will be notified by email, and can follow the book as it travels. BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and a heck of a lot of fun. Be on the lookout for other books left in the "Wild"!

If you find yourself liking BookCrossing, there may be local BookCrossers who meet regularly in your area. Come join us! I've been a BookCrosser since 2003 and have found books left by others, discovered new authors to read, watched my books travel all over the world, and discovered a delightful group of readers online through BookCrossing.

Journal Entry 3 by alrescate at Strafford, Missouri USA on Wednesday, July 21, 2021
I'm not sure why I didn't log this when I received it, but I found it in my massive "To be read" pile. I thought it was an enjoyable read. I did find the pacing a bit off at times, but I read it fairly quickly once I got into it. I am going to take it to my book club meeting this weekend and see if anyone would like to read it.