A Place Called Winter

by Patrick Gale | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1472205316 Global Overview for this book
Registered by stubee of Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on 11/16/2015
Journal Entry 1 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, November 16, 2015
Blurb (courtesy of Goodreads.com)

To find yourself, sometimes you must lose everything. Discover it all in A PLACE CALLED WINTER - picked for the BBC Radio 2 Simon Mayo Book Club and the Waterstones Book Club

A shy but privileged elder son, Harry Cane has followed convention at every step. Even the beginnings of an illicit, dangerous affair do little to shake the foundations of his muted existence - until the shock of discovery and the threat of arrest force him to abandon his wife and child and sign up for emigration to Canada.

Remote and unforgiving, his allotted homestead in a place called Winter is a world away from the golden suburbs of turn-of-the-century Edwardian England. And yet it is here, isolated in a seemingly harsh landscape, under the threat of war and madness that the fight for survival will reveal in Harry an inner strength and capacity for love beyond anything he has ever known before.

Journal Entry 2 by stubee at Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 09, 2015
Chosen as our book club read for December 2015.

I must say I didn't really know anything about the book before I started reading it, I'd heard good things of Gale, I have a copy of "Notes From An Exhibition" on my bookshelf which I haven't got around to reading yet.

Well anyway I really liked this book. It was well written, the story was flowed brilliantly and I loved Harry Cane as a character, so prim and proper but yet so strong willed and charming.

I look forward to reading more form Gale in the not too distant future.

KT-J actually read this before me so I'm passing this back so she can make a journal entry against it before we decide where it goes next.

Journal Entry 3 by KT-J at Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 02, 2016
I really enjoyed this book. At first I was a little confused by the jumping about in time as it wasn't immediately obvious where Harry was, but once you carried on it started to fall into place. I loved the writing and the story was a really engaging one, about subjects I didn't know much about before but were really interesting to read about.

This was my first Patrick Gale book but I'd definitely read more of his from this.

Journal Entry 4 by stubee at Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 10, 2016
Catching back to make release notes.

Journal Entry 5 by stubee at Larrakeyah, Northern Territory Australia on Sunday, January 10, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (1/11/2016 UTC) at Larrakeyah, Northern Territory Australia

Sending off to amberC.. enjoy :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingamberCwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Saturday, January 30, 2016
Thank you so much for this wish list book.

Journal Entry 7 by wingamberCwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Wednesday, July 24, 2019
My first taste of Gale and will not be my last.

The story was rich with characters and descriptions of place.

Overall a beautifully written, satisfying read.