corner corner Unstoppable: Harnessing Science to Change the World

Unstoppable: Harnessing Science to Change the World
by Bill Nye | Science
Registered by ResQgeek of Alexandria, Virginia USA on 11/10/2015

status (set by SqnutZips): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by ResQgeek from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, November 10, 2015

From the Goodreads.com First Reads giveaway program, to read and review.

Journal Entry 2 by ResQgeek at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Bill Nye, widely known as “the Science Guy” from his television show, clearly understands the significant ramifications of global climate change. The opening chapters of this book set forth the science that establishes the reality of this change and projects its impact on the planet. But this book isn’t a gloomy look at a future that must either be governed by uncontrolled climate change, or one where we have to sacrifice our standard of living to change the outcomes. Instead, this is an entirely optimistic review of the ways that we can address the reality of climate change, mitigate its impacts, and still improve our overall standard of living. Nye explores the various technologies, existing, under development, and possible future developments, and shows how, with a concerted effort, we can overcome this impending crisis and make the world an even better place for all.

As Nye points out, this change won’t be easy, but it is possible, and we need to start taking steps, however small, as soon as possible to achieve the maximum mitigation of the climate change effects. This book is effectively a call for us to move beyond our bickering and embrace a vision for a better future, by someone who appreciates the power of human curiosity, ingenuity, and creativity. Clearly, this is a vision of a species that has developed the tools to survive, and can, if properly motivated, leverage the situation to improve the overall standard of living for everyone.

This is a great book for those who are struggling to come to terms with what might need to be done to avert the crisis we have made for ourselves, for those who are worried that there is little we can do, and for those who simply need a nudge in the right direction. We need to set aside our partisan bickering and begin to discuss the ideas spelled out here, with an eye towards implementing as many as we can, while researching the viability of any further ideas that might be inspired by that discussion.

Journal Entry 3 by ResQgeek at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (12/1/2015 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

Passing along to a co-worker who expressed interest in reading this when I was finished.

Journal Entry 4 by ResQgeek at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, December 28, 2015

My co-worker returned this to me today, saying how much he liked it. I'll pass it along to another reader soon.

Journal Entry 5 by ResQgeek at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, January 02, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (1/3/2016 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

I've wrapped this book up for the "First line" book exchange at this year's BC-in-DC holiday gathering.

Journal Entry 6 by wingmelydiawing at Centreville, Virginia USA on Monday, January 04, 2016

This was a lucky catch from the first line game at the BCinDC holiday party today. I like Bill Nye's TV persona, but I've never read anything by him. I'm looking forward to this since I like other science popularizers, such as Neil deGrasse Tyson and Carl Sagan.

Journal Entry 7 by wingmelydiawing at Centreville, Virginia USA on Saturday, March 03, 2018

TV's Science Guy takes on climate change, but in a far more optimistic way than I expected. The title of the book isn't so much about how "unstoppable" climate change is, but rather how we as a species are more powerful than we realize - unstoppable, even. Nye talks about technological advances (and some tech that is already available) that can improve things ecologically without forcing people to give up the comforts of life. Even if you don't "believe in" climate change (whatever that means), I hope that everyone can agree that improving the efficiency of our machines, reducing our dependence on fossil fuels, cleaning up the air we breathe, and lowering our electric bills are all Good Things. And that's really what this focuses on. And it runs quite the gamut of tech, from solar stills on houses to batteries made out of columns of bedrock to water desalination techniques. It was quite a bit of food for thought, and while sometimes it felt a little awkward to be listening to this in my gasoline-powered car, I never felt like I was a bad person for, say, not commuting solely by bicycle. It was refreshing, really. There was a bit of humor and a whole lot of information, but without any of the science going over my head. I admit I was surprised to learn just how much of our electricity still comes from steam-powered generators. Anyway, this book is definitely recommended to people who want to learn more about climate change and the science of energy production in a way that is hopeful and inspiring. I also got a bunch of ideas of changes I want to make to my house to improve its efficiency.

Side note: I think the chapters are meant to be read in any order, or on their own, so there is some repeated information that can get a little tedious when you read straight through. I am now well aware that Nye is the CEO of the Planetary Society, and that he has a friendly rivalry with his neighbor Ed Begley Jr., and that he refers to his house as Nye Labs. Once I realized that each chapter is written without assuming that you've read the rest of the book, I found these little repetitions less annoying.

Journal Entry 8 by wingmelydiawing at Starbucks (Frontier Drive) in Springfield, Virginia USA on Saturday, March 17, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (3/17/2018 UTC) at Starbucks (Frontier Drive) in Springfield, Virginia USA

Bringing to today's BCinDC meetup. If no one claims it, it'll go on the OBCZ shelf.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 9 by wingSqnutZipswing at Springfield, Virginia USA on Saturday, March 17, 2018

Caught at BCinDC meet-up.

Journal Entry 10 by wingSqnutZipswing at Day of the Book (street festival) on Howard Avenue in Kensington, Maryland USA on Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (4/22/2018 UTC) at Day of the Book (street festival) on Howard Avenue in Kensington, Maryland USA

To the person who finds this book.....
Keep it or release it, read it or not, but please make a journal entry to let me know it's been found. Keep it, pass it on to a friend or release it into the wild.... let the journey continue.....

If you are new to BookCrossing, welcome! You can remain anonymous or join BookCrossing, it's free and loads of fun.