The Complete Western Stories of Elmore Leonard

by ELMORE LEONARD | Westerns |
Registered by wingperryfranwing of Elk Grove, California USA on 11/23/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Monday, November 23, 2015
Received from a Paperbackswap member in NY. Also noticed a sales receipt in the book showing it was purchased in Montreal, Canada so this book has already done some traveling.

The Complete Western Stories of Elmore Leonard
Author: Elmore Leonard

No one is more evocative of the dusty, gutsy hey-day of the American West than Elmore Leonard. And no story about a young writer struggling to launch his career ever matched its subject matter better than the tale behind Leonard's Western oeuvre. In 1950, fresh out of college -- having written two "pointless" stories, as he describes them -- Leonard decided he needed to pick a market, a big one, which would give him a better chance to be published while he learned to write. In choosing between crime and Westerns, the latter had an irresistible pull -- Leonard loved movies set in the West. As he researched deeper into settings, Arizona in the 1880s captured his imagination: the Spanish influence, the standoffs and shootouts between Apache Indians and the U.S. cavalry ... His first dozen stories sold for 2 cents a word, for $100 each. The rest is history. This first-ever complete collection of Leonard's thirty Western tales will thrill lovers of the genre, his die-hard fans, and everyone in between -- and makes a terrific study of the launch of a phenomenal career. From his very first story ever published -- "The Trail of the Apache" -- through five decades of classic Western tales, The Complete Western Stories of Elmore Leonard demonstrates again and again the superb talent for language and gripping narrative that has made Leonard one of the most acclaimed and influential writers of our time.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing at Elk Grove, California USA on Saturday, September 12, 2020
I've been a fan of Elmore Leonard since the 80s when I first read some of his hard-hitting crime novels such as CAT CHASER, 52 PICK-UP, and THE SWITCH. Since then, I have read several of his other novels and recently read his short story collection WHEN THE WOMEN COME OUT TO DANCE which included the story "Fire in the Hole" that was the basis for one of my favorite TV series, Justified. When I first read Leonard, I didn't realize that he started out by writing Western stories for pulp magazines in the 1950s such as Argosy, Dime Western, Zane Grey's Western, and Gunsmoke.

I haven't read many Westerns in recent years although when I was younger I did read some of my father's Zane Grey and William McLeod Raine novels; later I also read Louis L'Amour and enjoyed most of these. Then there was probably my all-time favorite, LONESOME DOVE, Larry McMurtry's Pulitzer Prize winning Western novel. Well, I thought this compilation of Leonard's Western stories was excellent. The collection includes 31 stories with the majority of them being originally published in the 1950s.

I think Leonard included most of the familiar Western tropes in his stories. The first several take place in the Arizona desert at the time of the Apache wars and were mainly about renegade Apaches fighting against the injustices of the Indian agents including one story where the agent was selling beef on the black market that should have gone to feed the people on the reservation.

There were stories about lost mines including "Under the Friar's Ledge" about a lost silver mine being watched over by an Apache who rode with Geronimo. There were stories about cattle rustlers, outlaws, and lynchings. There were also stories about women and the men who protected them. "The Rancher's Lady" was about a woman who worked in a saloon and was lined up for marriage by a marriage broker.

One of my favorites was "The Captives" about a group of people held for ransom after a stage holdup. A woman on the stage was the daughter of a rich businessman and was married to a man who married her for her father's money. This was made into a move called "The Tall T" in 1957 and starred Randolph Scott, Maureen O'Sullivan, and Richard Boone as the bad guy. I'll be keeping a lookout for this movie.

Probably Leonard's most famous Western story, "Three-Ten to Yuma", was also included. Of course this was also made into a couple of movies that really embellished on the story which was rather concise about an outlaw being taken to meet a train to Yuma prison when his gang tries to interfere.

Overall, I really enjoyed these. It took me a while to read this because I thought it better to read these in small doses to savor them more. They were very well-written and I think some of the best examples ever of Western fiction.

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing at Wishlist Tag Game , A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, September 12, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (9/12/2020 UTC) at Wishlist Tag Game , A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sending to GoryDetails...a wishlist tag. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, September 19, 2020
The book arrived today - thanks so much! I've found that I like Leonard's short stories more than his novels, and am glad to have the full set of Western tales in hand - especially for "3:10 to Yuma", adapted to the big screen in this 1957 film. [There's a 2007 remake that I haven't seen.]

tbr