Bill Bryson's African Diary

Registered by wingMoemwing of Zevenaar, Gelderland Netherlands on 11/7/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingMoemwing from Zevenaar, Gelderland Netherlands on Saturday, November 7, 2015
Hello, dear finder!
You've just found a free BookCrossing book, and came to the site to make a journal entry. You've made me happy already!
Please feel free to keep the book, or give it away to someone else. Thank you for taking the time to come to BookCrossing. I hope you'll enjoy the book!

On the thin side, both in form and contents. But nevertheless worth a read, especially if you enjoy Bill's witty style.

Journal Entry 2 by wingMoemwing at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, April 19, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/19/2024 UTC) at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

At the Convention.

Journal Entry 3 by wingkirjakkowing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, April 19, 2024
Picked up from the book buffet. I haven't seen this slim Bryson-book before. I think I already know the next reader for this as well.

Journal Entry 4 by wingkirjakkowing at Split, -- Airports & Planes -- Croatia on Saturday, May 18, 2024
Bill and I went on a wee cruise. Outside Africa.

Journal Entry 5 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, May 18, 2024
When I was little, I wanted to be like Joy Adams or Jane Goodall when I grow up. I wanted to travel to Africa and study animals. Well, Joy Adams was murdered and Jane Goodall wasn't having an easy life, either.
Malaria, schistosomiasis, trypanosomiasis, Dengue Fever, bilharzia... Even if there weren't the heat and poverty, all those tropical diseases will keep me out of Africa for life. You don't have to stuck your nose everywhere, Bill and David Attenborough do it for you. You just sit back and relax.
Today we are relaxing in Pučišća. Famous for providing the stone to build the White House and the Cathedral of Liverpool.

Journal Entry 6 by wingkirjakkowing at Pučišća, Split-Dalmatia Croatia on Saturday, May 18, 2024
I keep fighting with the BC-site. Refuses to accept Croatia as the place where I am. Changed it to Helsinki for the previous JE. Let's see if it goes better this time. Edit: It did, but took ages.

Pučišća. 1500 inhabitants. And a tom-cat.

Journal Entry 7 by wingkirjakkowing at Pučišća, Split-Dalmatia Croatia on Sunday, May 19, 2024
Train travel in Africa has been dangerous from the very beginning. When the rails were built, 140 Indian workers were snatched and eaten by TWO lions at the one and the same junction in 1898. I might have considered going into strike, but perhaps the end result would have been pretty similar. Nowadays passangers die in irregular intervals when trains go off their rails.

Pic: What I would not do to get good illustrations for a JE? The ship was leaving Pučišća at 7 am, so I went out at 6.30 to get a picture of the book and a lion. Pučišća is known for its masonry, this was in front of the School of Masonry. The book is still with me, as I haven't finished it yet.

Journal Entry 8 by wingkirjakkowing at Stari Grad, Split-Dalmatia Croatia on Sunday, May 19, 2024
The story of flying in Africa reminds me of my late friend Taija, who used to work for Novartis drug company (nowadays Elanco). As a prize for having had good sales she got a trip to Africa and was very much against it, because she was terrified of flying. She was told that if the company wants to reward her, she should be bloody well be grateful!
So she flew to Africa very drunk, because drinking lots of whiskey was the only way she could face going to the plane. It wasn't so bad after all, but what they hadn't told her was that to get to this safari, which was part of the prize, she needed to take a smaller, African Airlines flight... More whiskey was consumed, but when it was time to land, the plane did several dives down, but drew up in the last minute and made a little circle. Time and again, no explanations, air hostesses looking just worried and saying nothing. Then the plane turned around and headed back to Nairobi. There it landed, but the airport was full of ambulances and firefighters and the crew just run out of the door and left all passangers sitting in the plane. Nothing bad happened, but the passangers thought they would die, so crise management was given to them. The plane had a fault in its system telling that the wheels needed for landing weren't "out". They pilot decided that if they are going to land on their belly, it's best to be in Nairobi, where there are hospitals, not in some safari airfield. In the end they did have the wheels where they should have been, so the landing went fine. The problem was that they still needed to fly these people to the safari. They were given a new plane and a new crew and in the end all but one agreed. And Taija said the safari was really amazing, but I'm still not going to travel to Africa.
CARE and other welfare organizatios are facing a tricky problem in Africa - you can help the refugees a little, but not too much, so they won't be better off than "normal poor Africans". They are getting just enough not to die, but not enough to live on. That's not much of a life.

Released 5 days ago (5/19/2024 UTC) at LFL Minjonje Librih on Podloža in Stari Grad, Split-Dalmatia Croatia

Stari Grad is one of the oldest towns in Europe and I managed to find a Little Free Library, Minjonje Librih, there!!!

Dear New Reader, please let us know where you came across Bill's Diary. Thanks and enjoy your trip to Africa.