The Shock of the Fall

by Nathan Filer | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 000749145X Global Overview for this book
Registered by 4evagreen of Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on 11/5/2015
Journal Entry 1 by 4evagreen from Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 05, 2015
Picked up in a Healthy Planet bookshop.

Journal Entry 2 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 31, 2020
Be warned: this novel explores schizophrenia in great detail, including episodes of psychosis, dissociation, hallucinations and self-destructive behaviours. Matthew is eventually admitted to a psychiatric hospital and we are given a fairly depressing view of such institutions.

As previously stated this book explores mental illness but it also shines a bright light on grief and how it can affect lives. Overall I found this a compelling read but I must admit that I preferred (if that is really the right word) reading the first two thirds or so of it which largely featured Matthew's younger years as the illness was developing rather than later section which I found rather repetitive despite realising that this was a deliberate ploy by the author to show Matthew's fractured mental state.

I was initially drawn to this book because my own son suffers from schizophrenia, although thankfully not yet as seriously, so I was interested in reading a little more about the illness. But you don't have to know someone who is suffering from mental illness to get something from it and as such I would heartily recommend it.

Journal Entry 3 by 4evagreen at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 01, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (6/1/2020 UTC) at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Going out as part of a Reading it/ Want it thread. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 4 by wingclaudia_amorimwing at Donabate, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, June 12, 2020
Here, safe and sound. Really looking forward to delving into this! Thanks a million for the offer!

Journal Entry 5 by wingclaudia_amorimwing at Donabate, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, June 15, 2020
Really enjoyed this book.

I found it hard to put down, hence reading it over the course of two days, would’ve probably read it in one seating had the kids allowed it!

The weaving of the story is somewhat intricate yet so simple. There’s been a lot of care put into all aspects of story telling throughout.

Although I don’t suffer from anything as serious as the main character’s illness I have a little experience with psychiatry and day units and found the descriptions of the settings and professionals involved very accurate.

The story of grief is quite heartbreaking but somehow I didn’t find this book at all depressing.