Ourika

by Claire de Duras | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingAzukiwing of Miami, Florida USA on 11/2/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Monday, November 02, 2015
For my Book Riot reading challenge I was looking for a book published before 1850.

Sure, there are lots of classics, books that I've learned about, if not read, during my school years. I can always pick up a Jane Austen. Or Charles Dickens. Or Shakespeare. I can re-read Jane Eyre, or try Beowulf. But then I came upon this at Miami's library book sale. The story interests me, a Senegalese girl raised in France during the French Revolution. Even better is its length, or rather, its shortness, a mere 47 pages...

It's an interesting story, though mostly it''s a narration of the Senegalese girl's emotional anguish, as she realizes her difference from those she once considered her family, and her doomed love to Charles. It did mention the revolution, but only in passing. Nonetheless it makes for an interesting and thought provoking read. What could Ourika have done to keep her life happy? I do believe she could have make something out of her life, instead of the path she chose. It would be interesting too if someone can expand this into a full fiction.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, April 14, 2016
Now off to joaquimponte, to be released at the Portugal BC UnConvention or at his Little Free Library, or passed on in any way he sees fit. Of course, you are welcome to read it first! I am not sure if I will be able to make it to the gathering but sure sounds fun!!

Journal Entry 3 by joaquimponte at Lisboa - Lumiar , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Tuesday, July 05, 2016
Thank you azuki for sending this book ( and all the others) from so far away. This one I'd love to read before liberating it either at the portuguese BC picnic next 16th July or at my monthly event at Conchas LFL called " Books in English, French, German, etc "( last sunday each month all over the year).
A bestseller in the 1820's...uau, That's something . Thank you so much!

Released 2 yrs ago (7/14/2016 UTC) at Conchas Little Free Library in Lisboa - Lumiar , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal

Liberated during The Portuguese Bookcrossing Convention 2016 "Picnic Bookcrossing de Portugal", close to Conchas LFL.

Hello dear finder of this book,

I hope you'll like the idea and practice of BookCrossing. I also hope you’ll make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free and spam-free!) If you do choose to join, you can choose to use me as your referring member so I'll know that I've made someone enthusiastic about BookCrossing.

Feel free to take the time and read this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels. You'll be alerted by an email each time someone makes another journal entry.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 5 by Maria-Nunes at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, August 27, 2018
I really enjoyed reading this little book :-)