Mr Wigg

by Inga Simpson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingjeniwrenwing of Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on 12/22/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingjeniwrenwing from Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, December 22, 2015
A novel that celebrates the small things in life by a fresh Australian voice.

It's the summer of 1971, not far from the stone-fruit capital of New South Wales, where Mr Wigg lives on what is left of his family farm. Mrs Wigg has been gone a few years now and he thinks about her every day. He misses his daughter, too, and wonders when he'll see her again.

He spends his time working in the orchard, cooking and preserving his produce and, when it's on, watching the cricket. It's a full life. Things are changing though, with Australia and England playing a one-day match, and his new neighbours planting grapes for wine. His son is on at him to move into town but Mr Wigg has his fruit trees and his chooks to look after. His grandchildren visit often: to cook, eat and hear his stories. And there's a special project he has to finish ...

It's a lot of work for an old man with shaking hands, but he'll give it a go, as he always has.

This was the final book of the year for my bookgroup and I found it a little light for my taste although I did enjoy parts especially references to life in the 1970's which was nostalgic.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjeniwrenwing at Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, December 24, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (12/24/2015 UTC) at Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia

Posting to catsalive for the wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 3 by catsalive at Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, January 07, 2016
Thanks for tagging me, jeniwren.