Coda

by Thea Astley | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by jeniwren of Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on 1/26/2016
Journal Entry 1 by jeniwren from Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, January 26, 2016
Kathleen is facing old age alone. Her husband gone, she finds herself, much to her distress, slowly losing her capacity for memory. She despises her children's callousness and self-absorption: her son "Brain" is too caught up in pursuing his own illusive freedom and identity; her daughter Shamrock and Shamrock's ruthless land-developing husband have neither the patience nor the empathy to allow Kathleen to live as she pleases. Faced with losing everything she loves or once loved, Kathleen is forced to take drastic action, while there's still time, to hold on to her beloved freedom.

This is a dark satire on aging and I have a soft spot for cranky old ladies in my fiction. Such a sad little story but there is defiance and a lot of humour which stops it becoming too depressing for those of us advancing in years. Astley is one of Australia's literary treasures.

Reserved for the winner of the 2016 Australia Day Literature Sweepstakes. Posting tomorrow. Enjoy :)

Journal Entry 2 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, February 09, 2016
Ohhh, I am looking forward to reading this and then think I shall pass it on to a bookcrosser who I think will also enjoy the humour.

Journal Entry 3 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, June 11, 2016
A lovely short story about growing old disgracefully, and trying to hold onto freedom that other's are taking away from you at a faster rate than you wish.

Told in confusing flashbacks, to mirror the confusion of dementia, I was rooting for Kathleen (and her son to a certain extent). Her daughter not so much, perhaps she was of the "sandwich generation" (looking after aging parents and young children), or perhaps she was too concerned about what others might think.

A very enjoyable read.

Journal Entry 4 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, August 27, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (8/20/2016 UTC) at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

Passed to -tui- during a weekend visit.

Journal Entry 5 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Sunday, April 09, 2017
Received back from -tui-, who greatly enjoyed the book.

Journal Entry 6 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, April 09, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (4/9/2017 UTC) at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

Sending as part of the 2017 Australian Day book crossing sweepstake.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did.

Journal Entry 7 by Jotka at Cottbus, Brandenburg Germany on Saturday, April 29, 2017
Surprise!
I've received this book unexpected as a second winner. Thank you very much!

March 2019
Unfortunately I couldn't understand the language correct. It was to difficult to me although I've tried and read almost the half of the book. After that I've decided not to finish it. But there is someone who want to read it and I'm happy that I can send it further.

Journal Entry 8 by Jotka at Gubin, Lubuskie Poland on Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (3/16/2019 UTC) at Gubin, Lubuskie Poland

As a book-exchange to Doris50 with many thanks for the books she send me.

Journal Entry 9 by wingDoris50wing at Midlothian, Virginia USA on Saturday, April 06, 2019
Thanks, Jotka for this interesting-looking book which has traveled from Australia to New Zealand to Germany to Poland and now to Virginia, USA. from the cover: "Thea Astley's brilliant satire on old age shimmers with grief and irony." Looking forward to reading a book by an Australian writer.