The Last Unicorn

by Peter S. Beagle | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by appaloosatb of Rochester, Minnesota USA on 2/17/2004
Journal Entry 1 by appaloosatb from Rochester, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, February 17, 2004
This is a duplicate copy I picked up at Book Review for release. I haven't read this book for a long time, but I remember the story being totally enchanting.

From amazon.com:
"The Last Unicorn is one of the true classics of fantasy, ranking with Tolkien's The Hobbit, Le Guin's Earthsea Trilogy, and Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. Beagle writes a shimmering prose-poetry, the voice of fairy tales and childhood:

The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone. She was very old, though she did not know it, and she was no longer the careless color of sea foam but rather the color of snow falling on a moonlit night. But her eyes were still clear and unwearied, and she still moved like a shadow on the sea.
The unicorn discovers that she is the last unicorn in the world, and sets off to find the others. She meets Schmendrick the Magician--whose magic seldom works, and never as he intended--when he rescues her from Mommy Fortuna's Midnight Carnival, where only some of the mythical beasts displayed are illusions. They are joined by Molly Grue, who believes in legends despite her experiences with a Robin Hood wannabe and his unmerry men. Ahead wait King Haggard and his Red Bull, who banished unicorns from the land.

This is a book no fantasy reader should miss; Beagle argues brilliantly the need for magic in our lives and the folly of forgetting to dream."

Journal Entry 2 by Deerskin from Aberystwyth, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 28, 2004
Recieved today - thank you!