A Death in Summer (Quirke 4)

by Benjamin Black | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingCassiopaeiawing of Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on 9/30/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingCassiopaeiawing from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 30, 2015
From the back cover
When newspaper magnate Richard Jewell is found dead at his country estate, clutching a shotgun in his lifeless hands, few see his demise as cause for sorrow. But before long Doctor Quirke and Inspector Hackett realise that, rather than the suspected suicide, ‘Diamond Dick’ has in fact been murdered.

Suspicion soon falls on one of Jewell’s biggest rivals. But as Quirke and his assistant Sinclair get to know Jewell's beautiful, enigmatic wife Françoise d’Aubigny, and his fragile sister Dannie, as well as those who work for the family, it gradually becomes clear that all is not as it seems . . .

Journal Entry 2 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, June 11, 2016
Another good one from Black's Quirke series.

Released 2 mos ago (11/17/2018 UTC) at Kings Arms, corner of Holywell Street in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

Taken to the meet up.
Happy reading.

Journal Entry 4 by darkhorse4460 at Bletchingdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, November 18, 2018
Captured at Saturday's King's Arms meet. Thank you Cassiopaeia.

Journal Entry 5 by darkhorse4460 at Bletchingdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, December 16, 2018
I haven't read any of the Quirke novels before and realise that this is some way into a series, so I have missed some backstory on recurring characters. It still works well as a stand alone however.

For a modern crime thriller, the plot is relatively straightforward and to be honest I worked out most of what was going on fairly early on, there are no tricksy twists or real surprises. What I enjoyed most about this was the quality of the writing (OK so it is John Banville!). I loved the creation and description of the atmosphere of Dublin in the 1950s, the well drawn characters and the dialogues between them. I read a lot of crime and thriller novels that have great plots, but are a little clunky in the execution, this one is a glass of good wine!

I certainly would like to return to Quirke and Hackett's Dublin for another trip, despite the hats, the too much smoking and drinking and the casual xenophobia and sexism. It feels real!