Call the Midwife: A True Story of the East End in the 1950s

by Jennifer Worth | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Dorothyredboots of York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 9/30/2015
Journal Entry 1 by Dorothyredboots from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 30, 2015
If you pick it up I hope you enjoy this book. If you are new to Bookcrossing, welcome! Feel free to write a journal entry saying where you found the book and if you read it, what you thought of it. The previous readers are always happy to hear what happened to a book, so please leave the labels intact. It is free and anonymous to write a journal entry. Happy reading.

Synopsis from Amazon:-
'Jennifer Worth came from a sheltered background when she became a midwife in the Docklands in the 1950s. The conditions in which many women gave birth just half a century ago were horrifying, not only because of their grimly impoverished surroundings, but also because of what they were expected to endure. But while Jennifer witnessed brutality and tragedy, she also met with amazing kindness and understanding, tempered by a great deal of Cockney humour. She also earned the confidences of some whose lives were truly stranger, more poignant and more terrifying than could ever be recounted in fiction.

Attached to an order of nuns who had been working in the slums since the 1870s, Jennifer tells the story not only of the women she treated, but also of the community of nuns (including one who was accused of stealing jewels from Hatton Garden) and the camaraderie of the midwives with whom she trained. Funny, disturbing and incredibly moving, Jennifer's stories bring to life the colourful world of the East End in the 1950s.'

I didn't watch the TV series, but I know everyone raved about it. I have heard good reports about this book and I picked this copy up cheaply in a charity sale, so I thought it was worth a try.

Journal Entry 2 by Dorothyredboots at Parliament Street in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Released 2 mos ago (10/1/2021 UTC) at Parliament Street in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Left outside one of the cafes.