The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency Series)

by Alexander McCall Smith | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by LittleWhiteBird of Pasadena, California USA on 9/23/2015
Journal Entry 1 by LittleWhiteBird from Pasadena, California USA on Wednesday, September 23, 2015
Volume 14 of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series.

I bought this copy specifically as a duplicate to share with others.

I just received it back from my friend who's currently staying at a convalescent home, recovering from some trouble she's had with her leg. She had read some books in the series before, and now has enjoyed this one.

Journal Entry 2 by LittleWhiteBird at Pasadena, California USA on Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (9/24/2015 UTC) at Pasadena, California USA

Maggiesma has this book on her wishlist. I'm sending this to her for Holiday Gift Giving 2015.

I hope you enjoy the book. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by maggiesma at Vancouver, Washington USA on Tuesday, September 29, 2015
Thank you so much LittleWhiteBird for the HGG RABCK from my wishlist. I enjoy The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series very much!

Journal Entry 4 by maggiesma at Vancouver, Washington USA on Monday, October 19, 2015
" With genuine warmth sympathy and whit Alexander McCall Smith explores marriage parenthood and the importance of the traditions that shape and guide our lives." Reserved for Bkind2books.

Journal Entry 5 by maggiesma at Vancouver, Washington USA on Monday, October 19, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (10/19/2015 UTC) at Vancouver, Washington USA

In the mail, enjoy.

Journal Entry 6 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Saturday, October 24, 2015
Thank you, maggiesma! I love this series and look forward to reading this one soon

Journal Entry 7 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Monday, November 16, 2015
There are no surprises in the 14th of this series, and that's just fine with me. I love this series - the characters are warm and engaging, the plot is quiet and thoughtful, and the setting is perfect. There is never anything too disturbing or violent. The introduction of Grace Makutsi's new baby was so touching. It is a lovely trip with some of my favorite characters and I look forward to more.

Quotes to remember:

It seemed an odd thing to say, and yet all of us had a view from somewhere, a view of the world from the perspective of who we were. what had happened to us, of how we thought about things.

We all had to say goodbye, sooner or later, to those we loved - or they had to say goodbye to us. Those were the only two possibilities that this world allowed. But no matter how much we tried to face up to it, it never became easier.

There was no need for words, for there are times when words can only hint at what the heart would wish to say.

We are always in the place we love, Mma. We never leave it.

That is what we should be to one another: light that shines whatever the darkness of loss. Always.

Journal Entry 8 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Monday, January 04, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (1/4/2016 UTC) at Clarksville, Tennessee USA

Released in my 12 for 12 RABCK - enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Saturday, January 09, 2016
Received in mail as a RABCK from bkind2books. Thanks very much.

Will read soon.

Journal Entry 10 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Friday, January 15, 2016
As usual, I absolutely loved this! By now, having read a dozen in the series (this is #14; I believe I've read all but nos. 11 and 13, for the most part in order) and I feel like I know all the characters personally.
I really don't want to be a spoiler but.... in this book, Grace has a baby, and she and Precious have as usual a couple of difficult cases which of course they eventually solve, and everybody faces the usual tribulations with various family members and acquaintances. And the apprentices at Tlokweng Road Speedy Motors are up to their usual antics - but we do see a different side to the usually difficult Charlie.
I've said before that I knew someone in college from Boswana, and so it is easy for me to picture his voice and accent as I've read all of these books.

Am counting this as part of the Around The world Challenge, and can offer it up for RABCK to anybody who is interested in fulfilling part of that.....

Journal Entry 11 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Saturday, March 12, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (3/12/2016 UTC) at Des Moines, Iowa USA

Am sending to camperfan as winner of RABCK contest. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by wingCamperfanwing at Ruurlo, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, March 22, 2016
Today in my letterbox, thank you so much BigJohn for sending it to me. We have seen the series on tv so when I read the book I can hear Mma.
I will put the book in the camper readingbox, for the next trip,and I hope I get to read it before Mr C does :-). I will find a good place for it after reading. Where that will be is yet unknown

Journal Entry 13 by wingCamperfanwing at Ruurlo, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, June 16, 2016
Sadly BigJohn passed away. I will release this book in his memory.
R.I.P. BigJohnLefty, you will be missed in the BC communitie.

Journal Entry 14 by wingCamperfanwing at Ruurlo, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, January 24, 2017
Mr C has finished the book at home and throughly enjoyed it. So back in the camper it goes, for now its my turn ;-)
It will be part of the following Dutch challenge:
365/365 2017 van Aaltsje

Journal Entry 15 by wingCamperfanwing at Ruurlo, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, June 18, 2017
I really enjoyed this story. The book went with us on our trip through the Baltic States ans Scandinavia and now I am releasing it in the tranquil village of Kusmark in Sweden.
Bye book, may we hear from you again.

Journal Entry 16 by wingCamperfanwing at Folketshus in Kusmark, Västerbotten Sweden on Sunday, June 18, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (5/19/2017 UTC) at Folketshus in Kusmark, Västerbotten Sweden

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

On the bench near the entrance in a special BC ziplock bag :-)