Catching Fire

by Suzanne Collins | Teens | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wing6of8wing of Silver Spring, Maryland USA on 9/23/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wing6of8wing from Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Wednesday, September 23, 2015
Picked this up at the library book shop because I want to finish the series.

Journal Entry 2 by wing6of8wing at -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (9/24/2015 UTC) at -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This book is going to go to ResQgeek to read and enjoy -- and possibly to SqueakyChu thereafter -- because I will not be getting to it in the next several months.

Journal Entry 3 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, September 27, 2015
I borrowed by daughter's copy of "The Hunger Games" to read for Banned Books Week. But then I failed to look at my calendar, and picked it up to read a week too early (D'oh!). So, with Banned Books Week starting tomorrow, this arrived just in time!

Journal Entry 4 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, October 02, 2015
Perhaps coming to this story by way of the movies leaves me at a disadvantage as I read the books. I know the characters and the story arc, and when I read “The Hunger Games”, there was little in it to surprise me. I enjoyed the book, as I had enjoyed the movie, but beyond the additional insights that come from being inside Katniss’s head, the first book did little to expand the story for me. Perhaps that speaks for how well the screenwriters captured the first book for the movie.

Reading this second volume of the story was different. There was a lot of addition exposition here, details about the growing resistance and rebellion against the Capital that weren’t adequately conveyed in the corresponding movie. And the symbolism of Panem is much more clear here…this future return to serfdom represents the current economic trends pushed to an extreme. A small minority controls the wealth, living lives of luxury, oblivious to or not caring about the struggles of the majority who struggle just to survive. Labor becomes just another commodity to be exploited for the profit it can produce, faceless, less than human. It certainly is no surprise that the Capital fears a rebellion.

Again, being inside Katniss’s head gives the reader insights into her motivations and feelings as she reacts to the events around her. In many ways, she’s an unlikely rebel, someone who would have been satisfied with mere survival for herself and her family, at least until her sister’s name was drawn in the Reaping. Now that protective instinct is slowly being channeled into anger towards the Capital, and in particular, President Snow. How she directs that anger and uses it to seek her revenge will, I think, drive much of the final volume in the series.

I'll be holding on to this until the next time I see SqueakyChu, who also wants to read it.

Journal Entry 5 by wingResQgeekwing at Westminster, Maryland USA on Friday, November 06, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (11/7/2015 UTC) at Westminster, Maryland USA

I'm going to pass this along to SqueakyChu at the BCinDC meeting in Westminster, MD.

Journal Entry 6 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, November 08, 2015
Thank you so much for this book, Six and ResQGeek! I'm going to read it and then release in the Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720).

Journal Entry 7 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, February 04, 2018
I am simply overwhelmed with books. There's nothing to do now but a massive book culling. As it is, even if I live to a grand old age and remain completely healthy, there is no way I would be able to read as many books as I have placed on my "To Be Read" pile here at home. This one book book is part of that massive culling.

Sweet travels, little book, and good luck in finding a welcoming reader.

I'm releasing this book for...

*** The 2018 4 Elements Release Challenge hosted by Firegirl. The book title or author's name contains the word FIRE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 9 by merope33 at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, March 11, 2018
picked up today at my local LFL