We Are Water: A Novel (P.S.)

by Wally Lamb | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0061941034 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingReallyBookishwing of Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on 9/15/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingReallyBookishwing from Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, September 15, 2015
This is one of the best books that I have read recently, as evidenced by the fact that I read it in less than a week, despite its size (around 560 pages). For much of it, I was absolutely riveted and did not want to put it down.

"We Are Water" was also my introduction to Wally Lamb, who seems, if this novel is any indication, to be a fabulous author. He possesses marvelous abilities to create realistic characters, illuminate the human condition, defy stereotypes (indeed, Lamb sometimes turns his readers' assumptions on their heads!), and to leave the reader wanting to know what happens next.

Lamb's prose is not difficult to read, does not call attention to itself, and never gets in the way of the reading experience. This book is not an "easy read," however. There is nothing difficult about the language, but the subject matter is often difficult.

I think the characters in this novel will stay with me for a long time. They became real to me as I read, which is once again a testament to the writer's talent. I would also like to seek out more of Lamb's work to read in the future.

Journal Entry 2 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, October 15, 2015
Reserving for the General Literature VBB.

Journal Entry 3 by wingReallyBookishwing at Virtual Book Box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Saturday, January 16, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (1/16/2016 UTC) at Virtual Book Box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This is headed out to BooksandMusic, who selected it from bookstogive's General Literature VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, January 20, 2016
Received, thank you very much. I like your review.

Journal Entry 5 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, September 29, 2020
I wish I had liked it but I didn't much. Sorry, I loved his other books.

I found the subject matter disturbing. The whole thing was just disturbing, beginning to end.
It is a fictional family drama and it is constantly unpleasant. There is racism, fat shaming, murder, child sex abuse, child physical abuse, child verbal abuse, abuse of power, scheming use of sex, battery, crippling, more murder, more racism, alcohol abuse, physical abuse, infidelity, homophobia and robbery. I probably missed some stuff. Well there is nose picking, barfing and a buffoonish portrayal of a black mother and housekeeper that had me cringing.

Journal Entry 6 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, October 12, 2020
This one is going into the 1st sentence wrap it up book box.

Journal Entry 7 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, October 16, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (10/15/2020 UTC) at Seattle, Washington USA

mailed

Journal Entry 8 by samid at Portland, Oregon USA on Tuesday, October 20, 2020
Selected from the First Sentence Wrap It Up Book Box, hosted by rhythmbiscuit.

I love Wally Lamb’s work and haven’t read this one, yet. Looking forward to it.