How It All Began: A Novel

by Penelope Lively | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingwaterfallingwing of Raleigh, North Carolina USA on 9/9/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingwaterfallingwing from Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Friday, September 09, 2016
trade-size paperback.

from the back cover:
When an elderly woman is mugged on a London street, the event begins a series of mishaps that ripple across the lives of acquaintances and strangers alike. A marriage falls apart after an illicit love affair is revealed through an errant cell phone message; a posh yet financially strapped interior designer meets a business partner who might prove too good to be true; an old-guard historian tries to recapture his youthful vigor with an ill-conceived idea for a television miniseries; and a middle-aged central European immigrant learns to speak English and reinvents his life with the assistance of some new friends.

Was drawn into the story within the first few pages.

Journal Entry 2 by wingwaterfallingwing at Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Friday, September 09, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (9/9/2016 UTC) at Raleigh, North Carolina USA

Sent on to someone who had this on her wish list.

Journal Entry 3 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, September 15, 2016
Thank you so much for the RABCK, waterfalling! Looks like a great read and I appreciate your generosity!

Edit 4/15/17: I'm partway through this book and am enjoying it (I often read several books at once) :-) . Am offering it in bookstogive's General Literature VBB. As soon as it's requested, I'll finish it...if not before. :-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, July 14, 2017
Like waterfalling, I was drawn into the story immediately. Ever since I saw the movie “Sliding Doors” I’ve been intrigued by how one event can change the course of one’s life and how it can also affect many other people. This book does a great job of illustrating that. It’s well written and the characters seemed very real – a couple of the unpleasant ones made me want to jump into the pages of the book and throttle them. It also had its moments of humor (or at least my kind of humor) 😊

While recovering from her mugging, Charlotte spends the extra free time reading. I absolutely loved the following paragraph:

“Forever, reading has been central, the necessary fix, the support system. Her life has been informed by reading. She has read not just for distraction, sustenance, to pass the time, but she has read in a state of primal innocence, reading for enlightenment, for instruction, even. She has read to find out how sex works, how babies are born, she has read to discover what it is to be good, or bad; she has read to find out if things are the same for others as they are for her – then, discovering that frequently they are not, she has read to find out what it is that other people experience that she is missing.”

The characters and situation and the interrelatedness of all things made this a real joy to read. I’ll look for other books by this author.

Thanks once again for sharing this, waterfalling!

Journal Entry 5 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, July 14, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (7/14/2017 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

On its way to tabby-cat-owner via bookstogive's General Literature VBB. Sorry for the delay!

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 6 by tabby-cat-owner at Phoenix, Arizona USA on Thursday, July 27, 2017
I received this in the mail from Eponine38 of Winchester, Massachusetts. I requested it from the General Literature VBB organized by bookstogive of Tennessee.

Thank you for mailing me this book, Eponine38.