The Book of Shadows: A Woman's Journey into the Wisdom of Witchcraft and the Magic of the Goddess

by Phyllis Curott | Religion & Spirituality |
ISBN: 0749919698 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Kleptokitty on 2/16/2004
Journal Entry 1 by Kleptokitty on Monday, February 16, 2004
"Book of Shadows is an amazing first-hand account of an ancient sacred spirituality. Phyllis Curott is a lawyer. In this powerful book she explains how she became involved with a modern, urban coven, and desribes the extraordinary women she met and the timeless secrets she learned"

I've bought this with another BCer in mind, and will set it up as a Ring as soon as I get my act together...

19/2/04

I've got my act together at last, and set this up as a International Ring this morning.

Participants so far are:

BooksnBeer - USA
RrrCaron - USA
Ladyofunicorns - USA
then back to me! - Portugal/UK

This Ring is available for further participants, so please PM me if you'd like to join.

Book Ring Rules (Adapted from psychjo)
1) Everybody should leave a journal entry when receiving the book and after the read! Please let us all know what you think about it...
2) Also PM the next person on the list for a mailing address and when that person doesn't answer within 7 days MAX! please PM the one after...
3) Everybody should also try to read the book soon (max - one month?)- but in a joyful speed. It's not about how many books someone can read within a certain amount of time - it's about enjoying it...
4) You can send the book via surface mail or airmail - that is completely up to you.
5) If you find you don't have the time to read it when it's your turn please PM and I'll move you to a later slot.

Journal Entry 2 by Kleptokitty on Tuesday, March 09, 2004
Posted off today on the first step of it's journey, to Snowmoonschild in Winchester.

Journal Entry 3 by snowmoonschild from Winchester, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 08, 2004
I must admit, I read the blurb, saw the front cover and thought I wouldn't enjoy this book. A few pages into it and I was convinced I wouldn't like it! However, as it's a book ring book I thought I'd persevere and by the time I'd finished the first chapter I was completely hooked!

It really is a wonderful, honest and warm account of this person's journey into witchcraft - totally enjoyable.

Thanks Andrea :o)

Brightest blessings,

Louise :o)

To be posted on to Dagon

Journal Entry 4 by dagon on Wednesday, April 21, 2004
Received today - 21/4/04- from Snowmoonschild and looking forward to reading it.Will journal again with comments when read.

Journal Entry 5 by dagon on Sunday, May 02, 2004
I wasn't sure,while I was reading this,if it was really 3 books in one meshed together,or 1 book written by 3 different people.
First we have what I think of as the "wimpy-rich-bitch story of How I gained then gave up a great job".I felt that she dealt with a bastard of a boss with extraordinary self-control - I would have done something about (to) him much sooner.Though I did like the pay-off!
The second tale was told by a breathless " I'm going to tell you *all* the secrets of a coven!" sensation-seeker. Slightly titillating,but I just couldn't quite believe all the gushing-forth of power.I'm afraid if she exuded so many colours and sparkly bits she would have been her own bonfire! Maybe I'm just a bit jealous as I haven't yet been blessed by so many visitations! On the plus side,she didn't give away all the details,so I don't think there's any danger of any D-I-Y accidents.
But by far the best,for me anyway,was the third strand.The historical,sociological,side of things.This was written by someone who genuinely felt a connection with those who went before.It seemed well researched and a good introduction to feminism if nothing else.It was at times quite moving,and for this serious section alone,a book well worth reading.

Am posting the book on to Hexa.

Journal Entry 6 by Hexa on Wednesday, May 05, 2004
Received safely - thank you. I saw Phyllis Curott speak at Witchfest last November so I'm interested to see what she has to say.

Journal Entry 7 by Hexa on Monday, May 17, 2004
I found this a quick and enjoyable read, and I thought that integrating the basics of witchcraft with the author's personal journey was an interesting approach. It certainly made a change from the usual Wicca 101 books which seem to be ubiquitous these days. That said, while this was a good introduction to feminist witchcraft, I don't think that she really had anything new to say. I too felt that the constant gushing forth was a bit much - there was an element of sensationalising there. If I was reading this as a complete beginner, I'd worry that all the sparkling and visions were normal after just a few months of study - in my experience it takes longer than that. Although I might just be jealous too!

I'll be sending this on as soon as I have an address.

Journal Entry 8 by Mamooo from -- Somewhere in Hertfordshire , Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 20, 2004
Just got this through the post today!

Really looking forward to reading it - i had forgotten i was in this ring and nearly bought it!

Thanks to Kleptokitty for sharing this book, and to Hexa for passing it on!

Journal Entry 9 by Mamooo from -- Somewhere in Hertfordshire , Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 26, 2004
I really enjoyed reading this book and found i got hooked very quickly. I loved the way it linked her own life to the mythology and goddesses of all the different pantheons. It really showed the connection she felt, and i felt as i followed her on her journey. As others have said before, i thought the sparkly bits and gushing forth was a bit too much at times, and it does leave me wondering, as a beginner, will i ever feel like that? Or has she really exaggerated her journey to sensationalise the story?
Never the less, at a time when i was wondering if i'm going down the right path, this book has made me feel warm and glowing and satisfied that i'm being true to myself. So from a very personal point of view it came at just the right time, as i'm sure it was meant to.
Thanks again for sharing it.

Will pass on to HeathWitch as soon as i get her address.

Journal Entry 10 by heathwitch from Glossop, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 02, 2004
Great book, tracking the author's journey to discovering the Goddess and practising Witchcraft. A re-read for me, but wonderful and inspiring all the same :) Wonderful!

Journal Entry 11 by dizzydormouse from Ballinamore, Co. Leitrim Ireland on Saturday, August 14, 2004
Arrived THursday. - Many thanks!

& Onto Mt. TBR it goes!!

*********************************

Inspiring - & really well timed for me.

A great read!

Journal Entry 12 by Kleptokitty on Monday, June 06, 2005
I'm sorry to say that this book appears to have gone missing. I have to assume that DizzyDormouse still has it but she hasn't responded to any of my PMs & it's been nearly a year now.

If I locate another copy then I'll set the ring off again.

:-( :-( :-(

Journal Entry 13 by BookCemetery on Tuesday, June 07, 2005

A sad and morose Resurrection Team from the Book Cemetery has had to report an absolute failure in trying to locate the whereabouts of this much-loved and sadly missed Reading Companion. It appears that our dear friend has been booknapped. It can be traced to a certain door. Beyond that, nobody knows its fate or whereabouts. A very moving Memorial Service was held in the Chapel of Last Regrets, which was beautifully decorated with witchhazel and yellow broom. The Choir rendered a most moving version of "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" in dirge time. The Chief Mourner, Kleptokitty, was distraught, and was heard to cry out, as the memory of our dear departed friend was released into the ether "I wish I could spell poperly".

The Management and Staff of the Book Cemetery extend sincere condolences to Kleptokitty at this sad time.

R.I.P.