The Pearl (Puffin Classics)

by John Steinbeck | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Lubiette of Kallithea, Attica Greece on 9/26/2015
Journal Entry 1 by Lubiette from Kallithea, Attica Greece on Saturday, September 26, 2015

Like his father and grandfather before him, Kino is a poor diver, gathering pearls from the gulf beds that once brought great wealth to the Kings of Spain and now provide Kino, Juana, and their infant son with meager subsistence. Then, on a day like any other, Kino emerges from the sea with a pearl as large as a sea gull's egg, as "perfect as the moon." With the pearl comes hope, the promise of comfort and of security....

Journal Entry 2 by Lubiette at Instituto Cervantes Atenas in Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Saturday, September 26, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (9/26/2015 UTC) at Instituto Cervantes Atenas in Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece

Happy reading !

Journal Entry 3 by ejzia at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, July 05, 2016
Well, I picked the book in the Cervantes Institute in Athens, Greece while staying in the city for a while before heading off to volunteer in Chios Island. "The Pearl" joined my tiny collection of books taken for that couple of months on the island.
I need to admit, the book hadn't convinced me in the beginning. I read the first chapter and left the rest for later. That 'later' came when I got to Turkey and the rest of my books were already read. I was reading it slowly, but chapter by chapter the plot was getting more and more tense and interesting. And so I finally finished the novel in my hometown – Cracow, Poland. I think I'm gonna leave "The Pearl" in the cracovian Cervantes Institute to keep the continuity... ;)