corner corner Simply Love

Simply Love
by Mary Balogh | Romance
Registered by wingrainbow3wing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 9/8/2015

status (set by Tsjara): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingrainbow3wing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Planning this as a surprise RABCK to another regency fan... must check first though if this is already on this mystery bookcrosser's bookshelf.
---------------------

From Fantastic Fiction: New York Times bestselling author Mary Balogh returns to the elegance and sensuality of Regency England as she continues the enthralling story of four remarkable women - friends and teachers at Miss Martin's School for Girls. At the center of this spellbinding novel is Anne Jewell, a teacher haunted by a scandalous past…until she meets a man who teaches her the most important lesson of all: nothing is simple when it comes to love.…

She spies him in the deepening dusk of a Wales evening - a lone figure of breathtaking strength and masculinity, his handsome face branded by a secret pain. For single mother and teacher Anne Jewell, newly arrived with her son at a sprawling estate in Wales on the invitation of an influential friend, Sydnam Butler is a man whose sorrows - and passions - run deeper than she could have ever imagined.

As steward of a remote seaside manor, Sydnam lives a reclusive existence far from the pity and disdain of others. Yet almost from the moment Anne first appears on the cliffs, he senses in this lovely stranger a kindred soul, and between these two wary hearts, desire stirs. Unable to resist the passion that has rescued them both from loneliness, Anne and Sydnam share an afternoon of exquisite lovemaking. Now the unwed single mother and war-scarred veteran must make a decision that could forever alter their lives. For Sydnam, it is a chance to heal the pain of the past. For Anne, it is the glorious promise of a future with the man who will dare her to reveal her deepest secrets…before she can give him all her heart.

SIMPLY LOVE: (The second book in the Simply Quartet series) by MARY BALOGH | ISBN: 0-7499-3744-0 / 978-0-7499-3744-7 (UK PB) | Publisher: Piatkus

NB this copy has a different cover.

Journal Entry 2 by wingrainbow3wing at Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (9/9/2015 UTC) at Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom

As planned into the post for a mystery bookcrosser…watch this space. Meanwhile my ramblings on Simply Love.
---------------------

Sweeping, sensual, and searing and as the very best of romantic writing does, this directs one toward plumbing the depths of one’s own understanding of self. Another fascinating tale from Balogh’s who is a tremendously gifted writer in this type of, well, therapy!

I use bookcrossing journals as my book reading log and so sometimes details are inevitable. So yes some spoilers to follow but as the prize of reading Balogh is in the accumulated understanding of the emotions at play I hope these details will not spoil the experience of others. Joshua Moore, Marquess of Hallmere has remained the firm friend of Anne Jewell, who attacked ten years previously by a relative of his was left pregnant with a son, David. Bravely Anne determines never to be separated from David a child Joshua is pleased to recognise as his nephew, even if Anne is certain she wishes David’s parentage to remain a secret.

Traumatised and deeply altered by both the attack and its aftermath which saw Anne’s family reject her and her childhood sweetheart turned fiancé abandon her Anne resigned herself to lifetime devoted solely to teaching. While Sydnam Butler rescued he fees by cruel chance after capture and vicious torture has left him, once so handsome, dreadfully scarred. Sydnam’s battered mental state as critical as his physical one has left him unable to reconcile himself to the pity of others and his much altered circumstances.

So both Anne and Sydnam have personal demons which have shaped them radically and the convoluted trail of their tale is revealed at a carefully slow pace while Anne and Sydnam tentatively develop friendship and fall into a relationship. Simply Love sees this couple challenge the seemingly insurmountable obstacles that suggest a cosy future in a loving family setting utterly impossible to achieve.

ADDED Sat 19 Sep delay, finishing book reviews for a four book bundle RABCK for Tsjara, meant this was posted today.

Journal Entry 3 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, October 02, 2015

This amazing surprise bundle arrived earlier this week (containing 3 other books and lovely goodies in colourful wrappings). Really happy with everything you sent! Thanks so much rainbow3! :D
I became acquinted with a couple of Mary Balogh's books only earlier this year (Survivors' Club series) and liked them a lot. So I am very much looking forward to read this one. :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, July 18, 2017

My reading has been down for a while now, taking a month or more to finish just one book. So I needed something I thought would be nice and romantic and keep me reading, and Simply Love fit the bill perfectly.
Anne and Sydnam both have their own demons to battle, and I enjoyed how they grew closer together. The attempts at matchmaking by the Bedwyns and spouses was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed this, it was just the kind of escapism I needed.

Thanks for sharing rainbow3! I hope you are enjoying your summer ;)