GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka, Vol. 1

by Tohru Fujisawa | Graphic Novels |
ISBN: 1931514933 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/17/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, August 17, 2015
I got this fair-condition softcover at the Book Cellar. It's the first volume of a series I'm not familiar with, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Later: Very entertaining - and often over-the-top - story here, of the hapless 22-year-old Onizuka who's had a colorful past leading a biker gang but now wants to try and find a job. Ideally one that lets him look up the skirts of pretty young girls. And it's that very pervy habit of his that brings him into contact with some students and, eventually, to the idea to apply as a substitute teacher. Oddly enough, he's hired - apparently the criteria for substitute teachers aren't very high - but to his shock, the class he's given isn't one laden with cute teenaged girls: he gets the toughest, most violent bunch of badass delinquents in the school... This has depressing side notes, as previous teachers were put through horrible ordeals, something that happens too often in real life. But here, our young protagonist is well able to take care of himself, and after summoning his cronies to help him instruct his new pupils on manners and respect, he becomes a major hero at the school - and gets an offer to become their full-time teacher!

Mixed in with this is a storyline in which a cute girl *does* come on to him - turns out there was one in his class after all. But he should have known to be wary of so self-possessed a young lady, and things get messy for a bit there...

Later in the story, Onizuka - very much against his better judgement - takes in a poor-little-rich-girl whose family has been chilled and divided by their new wealth. She feels neglected, and is more comfortable in Onizuka's cluttered little bachelor pad... and for a while it seems that our hero will take the advice of one of his fellow teachers (who's even pervier than he is) to pounce on the girl. (The panels showing him in full-on lech-mode are amusingly gonky.) But not to worry; he's beginning to take his role as "teacher" more seriously, and comes up with an interesting way to try and fix the girl's home life... I may have to hunt up Vol. 2 just to see if it works {wry grin}.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the series, which turns out to be a much more extensive franchise than I'd realized. There's an anime series and a live-action movie, among other adaptations.]

Released 2 yrs ago (1/6/2017 UTC) at Merrimack High School (see notes for details) in Merrimack, New Hampshire USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, on a sculpture near one of the entrances to the high school at around 2:30; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in New Hampshire here.]