Moving Pictures (Discworld Novel 10)

by Terry Pratchett | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by erinacea of Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on 8/16/2015
Journal Entry 1 by erinacea from Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Sunday, August 16, 2015
Yet another Discworld book read over the course of Mark Oshiro's reading project. Like Wyrd Sisters and Pyramids, I hadn't previously read the book and had a lot of fun trying to predict the plot.

Summary:
When the last guardian to an ancient power dies, the ideas of Holy Wood awake, drift into people's dreams and, through them, start constructing the Discworld parallel to our movie-making industry. When ghastly things start leaking through the weakened reality surrounding Holy Wood, it's up to two young people (suddenly movie stars) and a talking dog to save the world.

It's been a few months since I read the book, so I'll just copy my review and adjust a bit where necessary:

I'm not a fan for the way this book ended (felt a bit flat too me), but I did enjoy the book as a whole. It'll never be one of my favourites but the King Kong scene alone made buying the book worth it.

Part of the reason that this book didn't stand out to me is that I'm simply not much of a movie-goer. Confusingly enough, I actually love going to the cinema once in a while, though mostly for the rarity value: the plush seats, the entire ambience, the lights dimming, the curtain opening, the publisher's logo animation, the commercials and trailers, the flicker from the projection booth, watching the movie in the company of strangers, the audience reactions, later the rolling credits, the light turning on again, and finally stepping out into the evening as if landing in a different time zone - it's all immensely exciting and I enjoy it a lot (yes, even the commercials), but if I experience it a second time shortly afterwards (say less than a month), I usually end up feeling impatient and annoyed by the exact same circumstances that made the first time so enjoyable.

I rather like watching DVDs at home but there are huge gaps in my knowledge of movies and I've never cared about stardom or had any favourite actors, so there were a lot of references I simply didn't get or that didn't "click" (heh) with me.

Apart from that, I'll have to join the chorus bemoaning Victor's blandness and I'm a bit sad that the wizards, while taking up a lot of page time and featuring in some hilarious scenes, ended up not having much of an impact on the plot. But then, they never do, do they?

Gods, this sounds so negative... The book was fun and had some amazing minor characters, especially Gaspode the underappreciated wonder dog. I loved that we got a better insight into trollish culture and the blossoming romance between Detritus and Ruby was adorable. I also liked the behind the scenes aspects of Discworld movie making such as Dibbler's attempts to sneak promotional messages into the movies or that brilliant scene with Rock and the dwarfs protesting against their being cast in stereotypical roles.

Here's my personal ranking of the books so far:

1. Guards! Guards!
2. Wyrd Sisters
3. Mort
-------- (imaginary line splitting favs from non-favs)
4. Moving Pictures