Funny Girl

by Nick Hornby | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0241965225 Global Overview for this book
Registered by BookGroupMan of on 8/8/2015
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from not specified, not specified not specified on Saturday, August 08, 2015
A pristine copy of the new Hornby from a charity shop in Woodbridge, result!

(18/01/16) Read during a rather lovely cruise and left in the library.

slight spoiler

NH has grown and developed so much in the years I’ve been reading him, from the early geeky boy-books (Fever Pitch/Hi Fidelity) to this wide-ranging historical pseudo-biographical novel.

I think his recent successes in scriptwriting and exposure to film and TV-land has helped to hone his ear for dialogue and eye for dramatic set pieces.

The central theme follows the life of Barbara/Sophie from Blackpool, the Funny Girl of the title, from reluctant beauty queen, to sitcom star, to national treasure. Although a lot of the characters and events from the time (late 1960’s) are real, she seems to be a pastiche, but no less convincing for that. I particularly liked the dialogue and interplay between the writers, producer (later husband no.2) and co-stars. The whole thing felt so real, if that’s not a cliché, but was also funny, fresh and interesting. Good work Mr. H, your BAFTA can’t be too far awat now :)

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at on Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (1/18/2016 UTC) at

I left this in the Norwegian Epic library, for a fellow traveller to find and enjoy :)

Welcome to bookcrossing!