Status Anxiety. Alain de Botton

by Alain de Botton | Nonfiction |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 8/3/2015
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, August 03, 2015
(Different cover) another for my de Botton back catalogue, from the rather fine 2nd hand bookshop in Cambridge market.

(11/07/19) This is a typical de Botton, a mix between academic rigour and pop-psychology ... although slightly drier than others I have read? Who new that 'status' and its many anxieties are so prevalent - and often debilitating in the modern world. The author looks at pre-C19th communities when people were less concerned (allegedly) on what their betters did, with more established social, political, and religious hierarchies and more importantly less overt jealousy and mobility to worry about. We are all, bar none, obsessed and driven largely by money (and the stuff that it buys!), prestige, the need for love and respect, and our position in society and all groups where we work and play. It is indeed an epidemic, but i'm not sure any of the second part of the book, the 'cure' chapters will work for the masses in C21st... Art, Philosophy, Religion (Christianity), Politics or a Bohemian Lifestyle. We are all more finely distinguished from our peers, independent, self-motivated and greedy (less accepting of less or humble) to accept any of the above as anything other than a short-term diversion. So I guess the striving, winning or losing, and the anxiety in either case will continue for the foreseeable future!

Released 3 mos ago (7/20/2019 UTC) at Ty Hir (Long House) bookshelf in Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom

This is going on the sharing shelf - in the very small non-fiction section! For anyone passing by and through the Long House, please pick up a book or 2. Thank you and welcome to book crossing!