High Meadows: On Earth as it is in Heaven

Books Are Original
by Ivan Ashley | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 10/7/2015
Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, October 07, 2015
My husband and I took a trip to the Maritime provinces in September 2015. We both fell in love with Prince Edward Island with its red earth, green fields, beaches, lighthouses and, above all, friendly people. I bought this book in the gift shop of the North Cape Interpretive Centre because it seemed to embody the feeling I had about PEI.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, October 14, 2017
This book is the third in a trilogy called the Red Island Clay story. I haven't read the other two books but based upon this one I don't think I have missed too much. As a picture of life in rural Prince Edward Island it is bearable but as a work of literature it is downright awful.

Mary Wasson was born in PEI in the early 1900s and, except for a few visits off island, she spent her ninety plus years on the island. Her father died when she was just six but her mother and two older brothers managed to keep their farm going. Fred Lowden was a young man from a farm called High Meadows that was not too far away but far enough that his family went to a different church. Fred had seen Mary when he did some business with her brothers and he must have liked what he had seen because a few weeks later he turned up at her church for Sunday service. They were soon stepping out together and then, inevitably, got married. High Meadows was known for producing superior Shorthorn cattle and the farm was profitable even during the Depression. Mary and Fred had three boys, the youngest being Tom who was Mary's favourite because he looked like his father. The book goes on to detail the lives of the Lowdens.

If you can overlook the spelling and grammar mistakes and the juvenile writing style and the frequent forays into religion, then you might enjoy this portrayal of farming life in one of the most beautiful parts of Canada.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at White Horse statue in St. Francis Xavier, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, June 28, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (6/27/2018 UTC) at White Horse statue in St. Francis Xavier, Manitoba Canada

I left this book by the wall that has three plaques on it inside a BookCrossing baggie. This release is for the 2018 Canada Days release challenge and for the 2018 52 Towns in 52 weeks release challenge - Town # 20.

When you find a BookCrossing book it is yours to do with what you like. You can read it and keep it or pass it on or if you don't think it is your kind of book pass it on to someone who might like it or release it in a spot for someone else to find like you just did. Whatever you choose it would be great if you could write a short note letting us know what new adventures the book is on.