Arthur & George

by Julian Barnes | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingbookstogivewing of Springville, Tennessee USA on 8/3/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingbookstogivewing from Springville, Tennessee USA on Monday, August 3, 2015

Journal Entry 2 by wingbookstogivewing at Québec, Québec Canada on Monday, August 3, 2015

Released 8 yrs ago (8/3/2015 UTC) at Québec, Québec Canada

Ordered from Better World Books for the 2015 Birthday Group, I hope you have a Happy Birthday!

To the finder of this book:

BookCrossing is free to join and a great deal of fun, completely confidential, and you may remain anonymous. If you choose to join please consider using me BOOKSTOGIVE as your referring member.

Journal Entry 3 by carelaisa at Québec, Québec Canada on Sunday, October 11, 2015
Thank you so much for this book - looking forward to read it!

Journal Entry 4 by carelaisa at Québec, Québec Canada on Sunday, May 15, 2016
I loved the idea – combining the author of a famous character solving a mystery by helping an ordinary man – but I felt it sort of drag on. All the interesting parts of the story are within the last 75 pages of the book. And, for most of the book, we keep going from one character to the other. It does work for some stories but I felt here it made the story heavier for this book. Anyway, I did like reading it and the writing was good, despite of all the dragging and the slowness for the story to kick in.

Journal Entry 5 by carelaisa at Canada Secret Santa, Secret Santa Exchange -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, December 9, 2023

Released 4 mos ago (12/9/2023 UTC) at Canada Secret Santa, Secret Santa Exchange -- Controlled Releases

Book 2 of 4 sent, along with some goodies. hope everything will be liked :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingcestmoiwing at Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 3, 2024
This is third book of four that I've read from my Canadian Secret Santa. I have to say it was a delight!

Well first of all - I have always loved the history of Arthur Conan Doyle - more than I like his fictional character of Holmes, to be honest.

This novel is set in the town I was born, and the town my mother grew up in, yet I have never heard of The Great Wyrley Outrages or George Edalji before this historical true-ish novel.

It was fun to read of places I know - Hednesford, Cannock, Cannock Chase, Rugeley, Litchfield Road, Stafford, Walsall and Birmingham.

It did send me googling to learn more about George. I knew right away that a mixed race fanily in that town at that time would be unusual and probably open to all kinds of prejudice. Even when I lived there in the early 80's there was only one family of colour in the whole town! However, George says several times during his life, that he never felt he prejudiced against because of his race - his one thought about that is that he wishes people would pronounce his name properly!

It's a story of a miscarriage of justice, some horrific crimes and a fear that was fostered by an ignorant police officer.

Journal Entry 7 by wingcestmoiwing at LFL - 671 Bendamere Ave in Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Monday, March 4, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (3/4/2024 UTC) at LFL - 671 Bendamere Ave in Hamilton, Ontario Canada

Congratulations, you have picked up a travelling book!

If you found this at a LFL (Little Free Library) or other book exchange shelf, then you already have BookCrossing spirit! So why not join us in making the whole world a library?

If you have a moment, we'd love you to let us know you have the book as we're keen to follow its journey. You can even post a review when you've read it before passing it on to the next lucky person or if you love it, it's yours to keep!

Happy reading!

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

2) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!