Dodger

by Terry Pratchett | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 7/30/2015
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, July 30, 2015
I've not read a Pratchett for ages (other than his SciFi-ish collaboration), so i'm very pleased this has come up as a book group choice. Looking forward to it :)

(19/08/15) Revisiting TP after many years for my bookgroup. This is referred to as ‘historical fantasy’ about the fictional Dodger, as inspiration for, Charles ‘Charlie’ Dickens, and a cast of other real and imagined early Victorians. Great to see the weaving of the adventure with Disraeli, Sir Robert Peel, Sweeny Todd, Queen Victoria and mentions for other contempories Babbage, Napoleon & Wellington.

Its not as funny as the Discworld, slightly restrained by the reality I think, and he gets a bit serious about the poor and social justice at the time. Anyhoo, our hero rises – literally – from his life as an ‘artful’ geezer and tosher (treasure hunter in the sewers), to a gentleman thief and spy…with much incredible luck, and a strong moral streak. I’m not sure id read more of this type of Pratchett, but I think I’ll look out something else from his incredible back catalogue…

Released 4 yrs ago (9/16/2015 UTC) at A1 Peterborough Services in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom

I'm releasing this somewhere in the services at the top of the A1(M)/A605 near Peterborough. If you find this, welcome to bookcrossing :)