The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room, the Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made

by Greg Sestero, Tom Bissell | Entertainment |
Registered by JennyC1230 of Woodstock, Georgia USA on 7/22/2015
Journal Entry 1 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Wednesday, July 22, 2015
Book Description: From the actor who somehow lived through it all, a “sharply detailed…funny book about a cinematic comedy of errors” (The New York Times): the making of the cult film phenomenon The Room.

In 2003, an independent film called The Room—starring and written, produced, and directed by a mysteriously wealthy social misfit named Tommy Wiseau—made its disastrous debut in Los Angeles. Described by one reviewer as “like getting stabbed in the head,” the $6 million film earned a grand total of $1,800 at the box office and closed after two weeks. Ten years later, it’s an international cult phenomenon, whose legions of fans attend screenings featuring costumes, audience rituals, merchandising, and thousands of plastic spoons.

Hailed by The Huffington Post as “possibly the most important piece of literature ever printed,” The Disaster Artist is the hilarious, behind-the-scenes story of a deliciously awful cinematic phenomenon as well as the story of an odd and inspiring Hollywood friendship. Greg Sestero, Tommy’s costar, recounts the film’s bizarre journey to infamy, explaining how the movie’s many nonsensical scenes and bits of dialogue came to be and unraveling the mystery of Tommy Wiseau himself. But more than just a riotously funny story about cinematic hubris, “The Disaster Artist is one of the most honest books about friendship I’ve read in years” (Los Angeles Times).

My Review: I started reading this book last night and finished it this afternoon. It's amazing, humorous, weird, and hard to put down. This book was really interesting. I had never heard of The Room before Rifftrax said they were going to riff it live in theaters this year. Seeing this movie without all the Rifftrax jokes would probably be like being stabbed with a dull knife, repeatedly. I love bad movies, directors like Ed Wood and Roger Corman bring something to the movie screen, it's not great, but it's entertaining and coherent for the most part. I LOVE bad movies, I've seen more of them than most, but The Room is pretty indescribable. You might want to check it out for yourself and then decide. Greg Sestero gives an intriguing behind the scenes view of Tommy Wiseau and his eccentric, pompous, narcissistic self and how he decided to make a movie, he doesn't want anyone else's input, even though they are trying to help him make his movie better. Tommy Wiseau wrote the script, directed, produced, and presumably played the starring role of Johnny. When I started reading this I thought Tommy Wiseau was a full of sh*t, pompous idiot who made a crappy movie. But if you step back and think about all that he accomplished it's actually pretty amazing, even Greg was able to have some empathy towards Tommy. I doubt we've seen the last of Tommy Wiseau.

Here's a clip of the Rifftrax version of The Room.