The Secret River

by Kate Grenville | Audiobooks |
Registered by smurphie of Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on 7/17/2015
Journal Entry 1 by smurphie from Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, July 17, 2015
London 1807

Journal Entry 2 by wingDiane-Fraserwing at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, October 03, 2015
I think Kate is a new to me author however, not sure. It will be interesting to see if this first part of the trilogy will draw me in enough to want ro read the others. Thank you smurphie :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingDiane-Fraserwing at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Sunday, December 17, 2017
Interesting but disturbing story.

Journal Entry 4 by wingDiane-Fraserwing at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Thursday, July 12, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (7/12/2018 UTC) at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Adding to audio bookbox

Journal Entry 5 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, August 31, 2018
This is a slow burner. I wasn’t sure I was going to enjoy it. However, it really grabbed me as I had to start making decisions with Thornhill about what was the right thing to do. The author balanced the argument very well - it was never black and white, if you'll excuse the pun. On the one hand, the settlers like Thornhill didn't want conflict with the natives, they'd worked hard and sacrificed much to gain the pitifully small amount they had, they were fighting against the odds to survive in an environment they just didn't understand and were so ill equipped for; so you feel enormous sympathy for them when the natives steal their crops. However, the author never lets you forget that the land belongs to the natives, they are indeed a part of it as much as the trees, the rocks and he soil are a part of it. It's their land that has been stolen from them. "You give a little, you take a little." Blackwood's advice is so pertinent to us all in this global world. We must try to live in harmony with other people, even if they're different from us and we don't really understand.

Journal Entry 6 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 01, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (9/1/2018 UTC) at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Adding to my 10th Bookiversary bookbox.

Journal Entry 7 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 03, 2018
Rec'd in a lovely box of audio books to celebrate earthcarolanne's 10 years at Bookcrossing :o)