The Solitude of Prime Numbers: A Novel

by Paolo Giordano | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingBooksandMusicwing of Seattle, Washington USA on 7/15/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingBooksandMusicwing from Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, July 15, 2015
I am overwhelmingly disappointed. Sometimes "literature" leaves a lot to be desired. This book is about a couple of people who are like prime numbers, always close, but never actually in contact. I want more of a reality; nothing feels substantial here. It is all about absence: the absent twin, the uneaten food, the unspoken words, the missing touch, the unfulfilled love, the empty womb. I had such high hopes for this book as it is brilliant in its way, but I couldn't handle the non-ness of it which includes the lack of resolution. We can only guess at what might happen. I felt like Alice the anorexic; I read this book and it had as much substance as that lettuce she consumes as her only calories. The only part of this book I actually liked was when Alice photographs Viola's wedding. She acted like a person then and not a shadow. I actually feel physically sick from reading this book, my disappointment is that great.
"Mattia thought that he and Alice were like that, twin primes, alone and lost, close but not close enough to really touch each other."
That quote is the book in a nutshell.

Journal Entry 2 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, July 26, 2015
Reserved for 1st sentence VBB

Journal Entry 3 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, January 29, 2016
Selected from the First Sentence VBB

Journal Entry 4 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, January 29, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (1/29/2016 UTC) at Seattle, Washington USA

It is on its way to Germany, to the bookcrosser who requested it from the First Sentence VBB.

Journal Entry 5 by wingsedna5213wing at Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany on Thursday, February 11, 2016
The book arrived safely in Berlin. Thanks a lot BooksandMusic!

*****

The book was OK to read. But as stated before, the characters were strange.

Journal Entry 6 by wingsedna5213wing at Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany on Monday, May 23, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (5/23/2016 UTC) at Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany

The book was chosen from the Alphabet VBB and is now travelling to China.

Bonne lecture, BaiLong!

Journal Entry 7 by wingBaiLongwing at Shanghai, Shanghai China on Wednesday, June 15, 2016
The book safely arrived in China. Thanks for sending it to me!

Journal Entry 8 by wingBaiLongwing at Alphabet VBB (Int'l), Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Released 8 mos ago (3/27/2019 UTC) at Alphabet VBB (Int'l), Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

A curious book, making us face a harsh and lonely reality. Which I actually should have expected from the title.

I wish a good reading to the next bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 9 by wingLamillawing at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Saturday, April 13, 2019
Received today