Adventures in a TV Nation

by Michael Moore | Nonfiction |
Registered by Dani75 of Rudersberg, Baden-Württemberg Germany on 2/12/2004
Journal Entry 1 by Dani75 from Rudersberg, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, February 12, 2004
From the bookcover:
"Hailed as ´brilliant´, ´subversive´and ´the best show in the past 30 years´by critics from both sides of the Atlantic, Michael Moore´s revolutionary series TV Nation programme championed th issues which concern us all - from the heavyweight to the just plain irksome. Only on TV Nation could you witness the unthinkable - Mexican and African Americans gatecrashing a Ku Klux Klan rally to regale them with love songs and install a kissing booth - as well as the simply wish-fulfilling - the home of the director of the largest car alarm company in America being woken to the tuneful chorus of a dozen car alarms at 6 a.m.

Adventures in a TV Nation recounts the intriguing behind-the-scenes stories of filming TV Nation and reveals how Moore and his associates got past the censors and on the air. It also relates those stories which were too controversial to show - including the voice-activated lie detector scan which tested the daily news and recorded a lie in just about every report. If you have ever felt powerless or at the mercy of ´the system´, Adventures in a TV Nation is guaranteed to lift your spirits."

I´ve read this book in record time because it was just so enjoyable! And it makes you think and laugh!

Journal Entry 2 by Dani75 from Rudersberg, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, February 13, 2004
I´m not quite sure what happend to the copy I sent to the first participant of this bookray in November, 2003.
But I bought a new copy and we´ll start over again:

Here´s the list of the participants of this bookray:

¤ (Ench)→ removed from list for now, wasn´t able to contact her
¤ elhamisabel (Germany)
¤ BunRab (USA)
¤ fanclub (USA)
¤ MonstrousWalker (USA)
¤ themarina (Canada)

Journal Entry 3 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, February 17, 2004
Found it in my mailbox. I will read it as soon as possible but just got three other BC books at the same time. So it may take a week until I journal it again.

Journal Entry 4 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Friday, February 20, 2004
Just finished it. Liked it a lot. It was scary and funny at the same time. The former because it's awful to see what the powerful people can do and at the same time it was funny because the way Michael Moore was dealing with this "problem" was hillarious.
Will send it to the next person on Monday or Tuesday.

Journal Entry 5 by Herrundmeyer from Heilbronn, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, February 25, 2004
Got this in the mail today. Thanks for passing it along. TBR.

Journal Entry 6 by Herrundmeyer from Heilbronn, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, February 28, 2004
A funny book, written in quite the same style as Moore's other books Stupid White Men, Downsize This, and Dude, Where's My Country?, although not quite as negative.
I would have loved to see the TV programme at the time.

Journal Entry 7 by Herrundmeyer at on Saturday, February 28, 2004
Released on Saturday, February 28, 2004 at Mailed to a fellow Bookcrosser in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

Postal release to Zoe1971

Journal Entry 8 by Zoe1971 from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, March 02, 2004
Got this one in my mailbox today. Thank you Herrundmeyer!

I hope that I'll manage to read this one real soon (reading shouldn't take me so long, since it's only a small little book), but I'll have to finish another one that participates in an bookring, first.

Journal Entry 9 by Zoe1971 from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, May 03, 2004
I finished this one last week. Since I don't have the slightest idea, how much of what Michael Moore writes in this book is really fact or fiction, I'm a little bit helpless about what to say about this book.

These are the stories I liked most: The CEO Challenge, Brian Anthony Harris Is Not Wanted and Health Care Olympics.

I'm sending the book off to bilbi in France today. I hope she'll enjoy it as much as I did!

Journal Entry 10 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Wednesday, May 05, 2004
I've just received the book today. I'll read it as soon as possible.
Thank you. Be patient ;-)

Journal Entry 11 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Saturday, May 08, 2004
I really enjoyed reading this book. I'm a fan of Michael Moore's shows, movies or books and as TV nation show was not aired in France it was a very good way to learn more about Moore's "performances".

Thanks for proposing this 'ray :*

Journal Entry 12 by bookmanu from Cascais, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Sunday, May 23, 2004
Received this book on Monday 17 May. Thanks Dani75 for making it available and Bilbi for mailing it.

It's on my TBR list...but I should be through with it by the end of this coming week. Looks like a quick read...paperback with lots of pictures!
I'm looking forward to reading it...I read Stupid White Men some time ago, and found Michael Moore's insights on America very interesting. He has become a major 'commentator' and will be even bigger following his success with 'Fahrenheit 9/11' in Cannes at the weekend...apparantely only the second time in the festival's history that a documentary receives the coveted 'Palme d'Or'.

Journal Entry 13 by mymmel from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, July 26, 2004
Got this in the mail about a week ago, will start reading it asap!!

Journal Entry 14 by mymmel from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, September 30, 2004
Read it, liked it, sendng it to myntti, Finland!