Cujo

by Stephen King | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 7/1/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, July 01, 2015
I've had this fair-condition hardcover on my keeper shelves for years now, and I think it's time it went traveling. It's a very powerful story, in part because it's not supernatural - while the tale features some extreme coincidences, it's still well within the realm of possibility, making it even more nightmarish (especially for parents of young children) than the vampires and demons in his other novels.

The book depicts the stresses of marriage, the ups and downs of the workplace (with a darkly hilarious incident involving an ad campaign for heavily sugared and artificially-colored breakfast cereal - that bit had me roaring with laughter), and the seemingly trivial incident that leads to one affable Saint Bernard dog becoming ill with rabies. The dog's increasing suffering makes one very sympathetic to the poor thing, but when a woman and her young son are trapped in a hot car with the now-vicious, tormented beast lunging at them, things get seriously scary...

[The 1983 film was pretty good, though it did pull some punches that the book most definitely did not. There's a TV Tropes page about the book.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Lowell National Historical Park in Lowell, Massachusetts USA on Friday, July 03, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (7/3/2015 UTC) at Lowell National Historical Park in Lowell, Massachusetts USA

I left this book on a bench near the fountain with the statue "The Worker", at the corner of Market and Shattuck on the edge of the historical park, at around 3; hope the finder enjoys it!

*** Released for the 2015 Allergic to A challenge. ***