The Secrets of the Chess Machine

by Robert Löhr | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Zoooz on 7/10/2015
Journal Entry 1 by Zoooz on Friday, July 10, 2015
Former library book

Journal Entry 2 by Zoooz at Portishead, Bristol United Kingdom on Thursday, August 27, 2015
Going out to a fellow Book Crosser, as I am unlikely to read this one.

My brother was a bit a "Chess Machine" at Primary School, but I never really enjoyed the game as much as he did.

----

Review
If you liked Perfume by Patrick Süskind, then you'll love The Secrets of the Chess Machine. Löhr's magical novel of murder and intrigue in the age of enlightenment will grip you from the very first page (Harper's Bazaar )

Solid, briskly paced historical fiction (The Observer )

A wonderful romp…full of intrigue, betrayal, violence, chases, sexual tensions and unexpected encounters (The Independent ) --This text refers to the Paperback edition.

From the Inside Flap
'What held him spellbound from the first was the object in the
middle of the room, covered with a linen cloth and waiting for its maker's
return. The shapes outlined under the fabric told Tibor that it was the
chess machine. He could make out a head and shoulders, and the table-top
for the chessboard in front of them. Tibor approached the automaton with
care, as if approaching a corpse, and just as one might draw back a
winding-sheet Tibor life the linen...' Amazon, 2015

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this read is enjoyable.
In the inner sleeve you will find a BCID number. This no. can be used to determine the history behind who's had the book and where the book has travelled from. In a sense you can "Track and Trace."
On finishing your book you can log anonymously or register as a Book Crossing member, what you intend to do with the book. Most people forward onto friends, family, a local cafe, telephone box library or to fulfill someone's Wishlist (also on Book Crossing). Books are not duty bound to stay in the UK, they can travel abroad. I have read books from far flung areas such as Australia and the USA.
Most importantly it's the pleasure of reading and I hope this book, is an enjoyable read.
Many thanks

Journal Entry 3 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 14, 2015
Book arrived safely I look forward to reading it. Many thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 20, 2019
On the whole I found the characters are engaging and it is obvious that the author has done his research of the period giving the reader a feel for the machinations of Hapsburg court life and in many respects the murder mystery is secondary but always remains plausible. Far more important is the motivation that drives von Kempelen, who is already relatively successful, to carry out his charade.

That is not to say that I felt that it wasn't without its issues. The author was a journalist before turning author and at times it reads more like a news editorial instead of a true novel. There are also a couple of time shifts which felt rather clunky. Despite these minor faults I still felt that overall it was an enjoyable, worthwhile read.

Journal Entry 5 by 4evagreen at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (5/21/2019 UTC) at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Going out as a RABCK. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom on Thursday, May 23, 2019
Thank you for sending me this wishlist book