Tokyo Ghoul, Vol. 1

by Sui Ishida | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/27/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, June 27, 2015
I've been eagerly awaiting the first English edition of this series, and got a copy as soon as it was available. And it didn't disappoint! It mixes "ordinary high-school-student" issues with some exceedingly unnerving horror. At first, shy Kaneki is taken with a girl who's reading a book by his favorite author - a charming first-crush situation, right? But the girl's got a secret, and soon sends Kaneki onto an increasingly dark and tortuous path as he becomes tainted as a half-human, half-ghoul. His only friend, Hide, winds up in peril from other ghouls - one of the creepy aspects of the story is Kaneki's growing realization of how many ghouls there are, hiding in plain sight - and it's unclear whether Kaneki himself will be able to restrain his hunger and spare his friend...

I liked the artwork, which shifts from crisp to dark to bleary depending on Kaneki's state of mind, and the story looks to be aiming for some complex moral struggles down the line.

While the story's not comic in the least, there are a few moments of humor - especially in the bonus story at the end of the volume, describing one of the background characters, a ghoul who spends the day leading exercise groups at a fitness club!

[There's a TV Tropes page on the series.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, June 27, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (6/29/2015 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to k00kaburra's manga bookbox, which will go in the mail on Monday. Hope someone enjoys it!

*** Released for the 2015 Allergic to A challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Monday, July 06, 2015
Taken from K00kaburra's manga book box.

Journal Entry 4 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, September 08, 2015
I'm not usually a horror fan, although I love vampire stories. So when I saw this in the box I pulled it out thinking it might be worth reading. I'm glad that this is not a color book. It could be quite gory. But the artwork in this was very good. I really got pulled into Keneki's struggles with what he has turned into - is he a monster or is he still the same shy boy he was before the accident?

This is a series that I will most definitely keep an eye out for future installments.

Journal Entry 5 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Sunday, February 28, 2016
I'm sending this overseas to the winner of the manga sweeps.

Journal Entry 6 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Sunday, February 28, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (3/1/2016 UTC) at Evanston, Illinois USA

this book is headed to Finland to the winner of the Manga Sweeps,

Journal Entry 7 by winghippoleinwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, April 26, 2016
Arrived safely in Helsinki today. Thanks a lot Nimrodiel for sending this all the way to Finland. My daughter was SO happy when she saw what manga it was, she has heard so much about it and is looking forward to reading it!
Not so much into horror myself, will give it a try!