The Creation of the World: The First Day and the Second Day v. 1 (From the Portuguese)

by Miguel Torga | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingNakipawing of Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on 6/24/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingNakipawing from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, June 24, 2015
From barnesandnoble.com:

"Overview
"The Creation of the World is the fictionalised autobiography of one of Portugal's most celebrated modern writers. It is both a real and symbolic account of his life's journey." "The six days of this Creation, published in English for the first time, sweep us through space and time, from childhood harmony in the mountain regions of Tras-os-Montes in Portugal to the Brazilian hinterlands and back, from the beginnings of the twentieth century through the years of the Spanish Civil War and the Second World War up to the euphoria of the Portuguese Revolution in 1974." We accompany the narrator from his childhood, his teenage years of near servitude to an uncle in Brazil, through his return to Portugal where he resumes an education curtailed by poverty and qualifies as a doctor. After experiencing the banning of his books and imprisonment by the Salazar regime, 'To be a writer in Portugal,' he confided, 'is like being buried alive and constantly scratching at the lid of one's coffin.'."

Journal Entry 2 by wingNakipawing at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (6/24/2015 UTC) at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal

This book is coming to you as part of the Home Sweet Home Sweepstakes. I hope you enjoy it, I confess I never read it but I did read a few books from this author and they are absolutely sad and beautiful. :D

Journal Entry 3 by BaiLong at Shanghai, Shanghai China on Wednesday, July 08, 2015
I received the book today, thank you Nakipa for it!
I had no idea before who Miguel Torga was, but it looks like a very interesting read. I'll be looking forward to reading it, I'm sure it's going to be a great discovery!

Journal Entry 4 by BaiLong at Shanghai, Shanghai China on Wednesday, November 01, 2017
I have been reading this book on the plane, on my way to South America too. Not Brazil though, but Argentina. Anyways, I'll have to say that my trip is probably going to be much more relaxing than that of the author, at least I hope so!

Thanks Nakipa for the discovery. I never heard about this author before, but the vivid way in which he tells his childhood memories here makes me want to discover more about him. I hope that more of his writtings are translated in English, including the following days of the "Creation of the World".

Journal Entry 5 by BaiLong at L'adresse Hotel in Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires Province Argentina on Friday, November 17, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (11/16/2017 UTC) at L'adresse Hotel in Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires Province Argentina

I left the book on the bookshelves of the hotel L'Adresse in San Telmo.