Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

by Malcolm Gladwell | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingwaterfallingwing of Raleigh, North Carolina USA on 6/18/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingwaterfallingwing from Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Thursday, June 18, 2015
hardcover.

from the inside sleeve:
Blink is a book about how we think without thinking, about choices that seem to be made in an instant - in the blink of an eye - that actually aren't as simple as they seem. Why are some people brilliant decision makers, while others are consistently inept? Why do some people follow their instincts and win, while others end up stumbling into error? How do our brains really work - in the office, in the classroom, in the kitchen, and in the bedroom? And why are the best decisions often those that are impossible to explain to others?

Interesting concepts introduced.

Journal Entry 2 by wingwaterfallingwing at Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Friday, January 29, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (1/29/2016 UTC) at Raleigh, North Carolina USA

Sent on as selected for the NonFic VBB.

Journal Entry 3 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, February 03, 2016
I look forward to reading this- thanks for sharing this!

Journal Entry 4 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, May 10, 2016
Oops - finished this last month and didn't finish my JE, so here goes:

Interesting book - Gladwell gives us a glimpse at how we arrive at decisions. He demonstrates how we can arrive at conclusions based on unconscious knowledge - the fleeting expressions on a person's face, the almost subliminal clues - a process he calls 'thin-slicing'. He also examines how decisions go wrong - usually as the result of bias, whether conscious or unconscious. This was a fascinating look at how we arrive at the decisions we make.

Quote to remember:

We live in a world saturated with information. We have virtually unlimited amounts of data at our fingertips at all times, and we’re well versed in the arguments about the dangers of not knowing enough and not doing our homework. But what I have sensed is an enormous frustration with the unexpected costs of knowing too much, of being inundated with information. We have come to confuse information with understanding.

Journal Entry 5 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, May 10, 2016
reserving in the Nonfiction VBB

Journal Entry 6 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Tuesday, January 24, 2017
The book arrived today. Thank you for sharing with me!

Journal Entry 7 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Friday, July 12, 2019
I haven't read it yet, so I thought I should pass it along. Reserved for the Nonfiction VBB.

Journal Entry 8 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Monday, July 29, 2019

Released 6 mos ago (7/29/2019 UTC) at Northglenn, Colorado USA

Mailed this to BOOKWORMINUSALL. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by BOOKWORMINUSALL at Mesa, Arizona USA on Friday, August 02, 2019
Looking forward to reading this book I found on my doorstep today when I came home from the doctor from rhythmbiscuit...THANK YOU...as part of booklady331's Non-fiction VBB Round 10. https://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/518393?page=4