Winter Ghosts

by Kate Mosse | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/17/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, June 17, 2015
This fair-condition softcover caught my eye in the local Salvation Army thrift shop. I'd read a couple of other books by Mosse, and decided to give this one a try.

It opens in nicely atmospheric fashion, with a man showing a late-medieval parchment to an antiquarian in a small village in the French Pyrenees. Turns out the man came by the parchment in a very unusual way, after being caught in a snowstorm not far from the same village a few years back, and the story that unfolds deals with ghosts of a long-past tragedy, and a love that may help free the spirits to move on. The story is based in historical events concerning the persecution of the Cathars in the early 14th century, and while it takes liberties with details, it's very evocative and moving.

"Bones and shadows and dust. I am the last..."

Released 4 yrs ago (7/15/2015 UTC) at Christopher's Subs and Pizza, 264 Main Dunstable in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book in the customer-reading-rack on the wall inside Christopher's at around 1:45 or so, when I stop by for a sub. Hope the finder enjoys the book!

*** Released for the 2015 Allergic to A challenge. ***