The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel

by Neil Gaiman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookyMcBooks of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 6/13/2015
Journal Entry 1 by BookyMcBooks from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 13, 2015
This is a fairy tale for adults.

I found this to be an exceptionally rewarding read for such a short book.

From Chapters.ca:

"Sussex, England. A middle-aged man returns to his childhood home to attend a funeral. Although the house he lived in is long gone, he is drawn to the farm at the end of the road, where, when he was seven, he encountered a most remarkable girl, Lettie Hempstock, and her mother and grandmother. He hasn't thought of Lettie in decades, and yet as he sits by the pond (a pond that she'd claimed was an ocean) behind the ramshackle old farmhouse, the unremembered past comes flooding back. And it is a past too strange, too frightening, too dangerous to have happened to anyone, let alone a small boy.

Forty years earlier, a man committed suicide in a stolen car at this farm at the end of the road. Like a fuse on a firework, his death lit a touchpaper and resonated in unimaginable ways. The darkness was unleashed, something scary and thoroughly incomprehensible to a little boy. And Lettie-magical, comforting, wise beyond her years-promised to protect him, no matter what.

A groundbreaking work from a master,The Ocean at the End of the Laneis told with a rare understanding of all that makes us human, and shows the power of stories to reveal and shelter us from the darkness inside and out. It is a stirring, terrifying, and elegiac fable as delicate as a butterfly's wing and as menacing as a knife in the dark."

Journal Entry 2 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 13, 2015
Picked up at the June meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers, at Cravings Market Restaurant.

Journal Entry 3 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, September 17, 2015
Wow, this was one scary little book! The story really packs a wallop and I was as nervous as a 7 year old, hearing a really terrifying bedtime story!

All-in-all, a great read!

Journal Entry 4 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 10, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (10/10/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Releasing at the October meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers, held at Cravings Market Restaurant.

Journal Entry 5 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, October 12, 2015
Picked up at the October meeting.

Journal Entry 6 by megami-no-ushi at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, April 28, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (4/28/2016 UTC) at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to a special meeting for a missed bookcrossing friend! Welcome home!

To the finder:

Journal Entry 7 by megami-no-ushi at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 14, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (5/14/2016 UTC) at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the May meet up for the "Useful or Unusual books" theme! Creepy and amazing at the same time...

To the finder:

Journal Entry 8 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 14, 2016
Brought this home from the May meat up at Cravings.

Journal Entry 9 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 03, 2018
Listened to the audio version for the first part, then picked it up and finished the hard copy. The last bit kept me up reading until I was finished at 1 AM. It really catches you up in the scary monsters that await us.

Journal Entry 10 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 10, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (3/10/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this to the March Meetup at Cravings.

Journal Entry 11 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, May 13, 2018
Brought this home from the May BookCrossing meeting.

Journal Entry 12 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 13, 2018
Enjoyed the book but I think I would rather watch fantasy movies then read them.

Journal Entry 13 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 13, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (10/13/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking this to the October BookCrossing meeting to be enjoyed by the next reader.

Journal Entry 14 by B-Lynn at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, October 17, 2018
to be read