Under Magnolia: A Southern Memoir

by Frances Mayes | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by pinklady60 of San Diego, California USA on 6/9/2015
Journal Entry 1 by pinklady60 from San Diego, California USA on Tuesday, June 09, 2015
In this book the author relates her experiences growing up during a turbulent time in Fitzgerald, Georgia and her time at Randolph-Macon Woman’s College in Lynchburg, Virginia. Her writing was definitely influenced by other southern writers. At one point, she professes to dislike William Faulkner, but later comes to admire him, and I found her stream of consciousness writing similar to his. There seemed to be no semblance of order and, consequently, I felt no connection to any of the characters. On the positive side, I did enjoy the little and unexpected glimpses of humor, however this was probably the least favorite of Mayes’ books that I have read.

I received this book from Librarything's Early Reviewer Program

trade paperback

Journal Entry 2 by pinklady60 at San Diego, California USA on Monday, September 10, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (9/10/2018 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

This was included in a box of books I offered in the RABCK forums. I'm sending it to ILuvToRead2 in Illinois.

If you've found this book... WELCOME to BookCrossing!
I hope you enjoy the book and will make a journal entry to let me know you found it, how you liked it, and what you plan to do with it...
You don't have to join ... you can remain anonymous if you like ... but if you do decide to join, you’ll receive notification showing the travels of this book and any others you register.

Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingILuvToRead2wing at Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, September 18, 2018
I received this book in a huge box of books from the very generous pinklady60. I will probably pass this along to another bookcrosser or wild release. Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by wingILuvToRead2wing at -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Friday, September 25, 2020

Released 8 mos ago (9/24/2020 UTC) at -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This book is on the way to a bookcrosser who has it on her wishlist as an HGG surprise! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by Charlieshack at Pendleton, Oregon USA on Thursday, February 11, 2021
I got to page 71 before I ditched it. I do not ditch a book very often, This book is so boring. It is a memoir of the author's life as a child in the south. I would tell you what it is about, but never figured it out. She seemed to have some very unhappy memories and appeared to be a very lonely child. It was just not a feel good read! I am taking it to my local little free library!