From Here

by Jen Michalski | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingjudygreeneyeswing of San Diego, California USA on 6/8/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingjudygreeneyeswing from San Diego, California USA on Monday, June 08, 2015
"Nothing links person to person like the frequent passage from hand to hand of a good book."

Wonderful compilation of short stories from acclaimed author Jen Michalski. I really enjoyed each of these stories. They are each unique and satisfying, quite an achievement with a compilation of short stories. The stories are about people who feel real, who live everyday lives that are not necessarily beautiful or happy or satisfying. Characters are not perfect and make plenty of mistakes, but they are resilient. Each story has a lot or a little sadness, the type of sadness that is inevitable in life, and it is the characters that keep you reading. They are too much like us, or like people we know, and we care about what happens to them.

Jen Michalski is the author of the novels The Tide King (2013), The Summer She Was Under Water (2016), the couplet of novellas Could You Be With Her Now (2013), and two collections of fiction: From Here (2014) and Close Encounters (2007). In 2013 she was voted one of 50 Women to Watch by the Baltimore Sun and Best Author by Baltimore Magazine. You can find her at jenmichalski.com and https://twitter.com/MichalskiJen.

I'm planning to set this book traveling among bookcrossers.

A wandering book -- the karma of literature!

Journal Entry 2 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Monday, June 29, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (6/29/2015 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

Off by mail to Readertoo in Texas. Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 3 by Readertoo at Sugar Land, Texas USA on Thursday, July 09, 2015
Thank you judygreeneyes for sharing your book with me. I am looking forward to reading it. I was also excited to receive the book crossing labels you custom made for me. That was so nice of you! Thanks again!

Journal Entry 4 by Readertoo at Sugar Land, Texas USA on Friday, July 10, 2015
I will need to hurry and read this as I am donating it to the General Literature VBB Round 12 sponsored by bookstogive.

Journal Entry 5 by Readertoo at Sugar Land, Texas USA on Friday, July 10, 2015

From Back Cover:
Twelve stories From Here explore the disclocations and intersections of people searching, running away, staying put. Their physical and emotional landscapes run the gamut, but in the end, they're all searching for a place to call home.

Journal Entry 6 by Readertoo at Sugar Land, Texas USA on Thursday, August 04, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (8/5/2016 UTC) at Sugar Land, Texas USA

I will be sending this to ReallyBookish as part of the General Literature VBB sponsored by bookstogive. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, August 09, 2016
Received today. Thank you so much for getting it out to me so quickly! I am very much looking forward to this one. Thanks again, Readertoo!

Journal Entry 8 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, September 21, 2016
A strong collection of short stories that made me want to read more of Michalski's work. As with many literary short stories, the overall mood of most of the pieces is rather dark, but in a realistic way. The writing is solid and the characters are extremely well-drawn. My favorites in the collection were "The Queen of Swords," "The Mural," and "The Substitute."

Journal Entry 9 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, February 24, 2017
Reserving for the General Literature VBB.

Description from Amazon:

"The twelve stories in From Here explore the dislocations and intersections of people searching, running away, staying put. Their physical and emotional landscapes run the gamut, but in the end, they’re all searching for a place to call home."

Journal Entry 10 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, January 10, 2018
Removing from the General Literature VBB and making available.

Journal Entry 11 by wingReallyBookishwing at LGBTQ+ Mini-Bookbox, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Monday, April 09, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (4/10/2018 UTC) at LGBTQ+ Mini-Bookbox, by mail -- Controlled Releases

I am sending this along in the LGBTQ+ Mini-Bookbox, but be aware that not all of the stories in this collection fit with the LGBTQ+ theme. In fact, I can only remember one for certain that does.

Journal Entry 12 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, April 27, 2018
I'm claiming this from the LGBTQ+ Mini-Bookbox; looks like a really good anthology!

Later: Lots of beautifully involving stories here, with strong focus on character and place. Among my favorites:

"Neighbors," which mixes children-at-play with a get-out-of-my-yard vibe (or maybe I'm projecting {wry grin}, which segues into a nightmarish conclusion - though the narrator's detached, uncertain tone underplayed it a bit.

"The Queen of Swords," an ode to broken glass and china - interesting contrast between the narrator's youthful "break things in my basement" moneymaking venture and the neighbors' bitter-breakup plate-shattering and its aftermath.

"The Mural" starts with a pregnancy that seems likely to break up the couple involved - and then takes a tragic turn, with an inspired and touching method of dealing with loss.

"The Paleolithic Age," with its notes of past relationships and that fretful unwillingness to move on.

And more...

Journal Entry 13 by wingGoryDetailswing at Yuddicky Farm Conservation Area in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (6/27/2018 UTC) at Yuddicky Farm Conservation Area in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, on one of the sculptures from last year's International Sculpture Symposium, on the trail along the edge of Lovewell Pond; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***