Zugzwang

by Ronan Bennett | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by 4evagreen of Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on 6/8/2015
Journal Entry 1 by 4evagreen from Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 08, 2015
Received as a BookMooch.

Journal Entry 2 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 25, 2018
Zugzwang is a term used in chess to describe a position in which a player is reduced to a state of utter helplessness. He is obliged to move, but every makes his position worse.

This book is set in 1914 pre-revolution St. Petersburg where Dr. Otto Spethmann is a prominent psychoanalyst and widower living a comfortable life with his daughter, Catherine. Otto is apolitical but when a newspaper editor is murdered in broad daylight and an apparent car accident turns out to be a murder he is drawn into a world of political manoeuvring and intrigue when his business card is found on one of the victims.

Running throughout the book is a long-running chess game played between Otto and a friend. Otto contemplates the moves and counter moves that his opponents will play. As events in the novel heat up, so does the chess game. This is a side dish that will no doubt thrill chess enthusiasts but should not be enough to put off non-players from enjoying this novel. I found it well written and fast paced with plenty of twists and turns (a few too many for my taste) but if I'm honest it didn't have enough about it to really stand out from the crowd.

Journal Entry 3 by 4evagreen at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (5/21/2019 UTC) at Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Going out as a Brucie Bonus. I hope that you haven't already read it. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom on Thursday, May 23, 2019
Thank you for sending me this book, it's a new author for me. And no I've not read it yet